Author Topic: Birmingham burials and cremations  (Read 4532 times)

Offline rayard

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Birmingham burials and cremations
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 26 November 17 14:56 GMT (UK) »
This database has been very useful and I don't want to be critical, but I'm having problems with short surnames when I don't have a date of death. I.e. it gives all results of longer surnames which include the letters. I have tried putting "" but this doesn't work. On some websites there is a box to tick "exact"
rayard.

Offline Keitht

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 26 November 17 22:53 GMT (UK) »
I've experienced the same problem but it hasn't given me much trouble because I have been using the site to locate burials where I already have the death registration record. I would personally be a lot happier if the records extended to two or more forenames, which would eliminate the occasional experience of finding two burials or cremations of similar names within the same quarter.

The database is by no means perfect but it is light years ahead of anything we've had before.

Offline rayard

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 27 November 17 14:57 GMT (UK) »
It is  good Keitht and I didn't want to appear ungrateful!!
Thanks again, it has been a great help.
rayard.

Offline Keitht

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 29 November 17 20:11 GMT (UK) »
No gratitude due to me. I merely reported the site's existence after having been shown it by someone else.

Offline Brummygirl

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 30 November 17 18:23 GMT (UK) »
This website is a fantastic resource
I was confused over Kings Norton Cemetery and Old Kings Norton Cemetery, so i emailed the site to ask about it. So if anyone else has the same problem/confusion here is their reply

The history of the Old Kings Norton Cemeteries are that the Kings Norton Burial Board were responsible for administering two cemeteries prior to 1911. One was Brandwood End Cemetery and the other was Lodge Hill Cemetery. Both cemeteries have old registers that show Kings Norton Burial Board on them. When the registers were transcribed, the Old Kings Norton Burial Board records for Brandwood End Cemetery were recorded as Brandwood End Cemetery. However, when the old Kings Norton Burial Board records for Lodge Hill Cemetery were transcribed they were listed as Old Kings Norton. This is something that has been picked up since the database has been released for public access. In order to avoid confusion, we are currently working with our supplier to amend the Old Kings Norton records to show them as Lodge Hill Cemetery on the database for future use. There will be a short period in the interim when the old Lodge Hill Cemetery records are shown as Old Kings Norton prior to this update.

Hope this helps
Kindest regards
Brummygirl
TAKE A LOOK AT MY WEBSITE. http://www.ancestorsofbirmingham.com/                                                                                                         PARISH REGISTER TRANSCRIPTIONS FOR ASTON, BIRMINGHAM & COVENTRY. ALSO  GRAVESTONE IMAGES FOR WARSTONE LANE & WITTON CEMETERIES IN BIRMINGHAM & LONDON ROAD CEMETERY IN COVENTRY
Researching - Asbury/Bilson/Davis/Dugmore/Hitchman/Markland/Milner/Morris/Perkins/Ray/Sidwell/Smith/Warden
Census information is Crown Copy Right

Offline Keitht

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 09 December 17 20:27 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Brummygirl, I must admit that I had wondered about this point myself.

Offline Bojalu

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 06 February 18 00:42 GMT (UK) »

What we have to remember the site is for cemeteries .
If you are unable to find your ancestor they may be buried in a family plot in a  church yard ( Parish Records ) rather than a council cemetery.

The BMSGH -Birmingham & Midland Society of Genealogy & Heraldry
( now called Midland Ancestors )   volunteers transcribed the burial records  of Witton Cemetery, Handsworth Cemetery , Key Hill Cemetery & Warstone Lane Cemetery  to purchase  sometime ago.
 You can purchased the burial records from the BMSGH shop.
 Support your local Family History Society .http://bmsgh-shop.org.uk/BIRM-Cemeteries

Key Hill Cemetery & Warstone Lane Cemetery .
For help in locating a grave  or to find how many are buried in a plot  at either Key Hill Cemetery or Warstone Lane Cemetery in Hockley, Birmingham's Jewellery Quarter contact the
 Friends of Key Hill Cemetery & Warstone Lane Cemetery .
 The only group to maintain the cemeteries and restore headstones

Blogging website is work in progress. https://friendsofkeyhillcemeterywarstonelanecemetery.wordpress.com/