Author Topic: McPherson family member in Wigtown? I'd love some help!  (Read 4737 times)

Offline HermitCedar

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: One last struggle to trace this ancestor!
« Reply #9 on: Monday 11 December 17 15:13 GMT (UK) »
What information does the marriage give  :-\

If you mean the 1817 marriage, then very little info - both of the parish after proclamation of banns.

Ahh, I assumed she meant the 1842 one.

The 1817 marriage is basically the same...

This is the link on Scotlands People, not sure if you can open it directly from here...

https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/view-image/nrs_viewed_images/27679167?image=263&viewed_images=true

More or less, it just says "James McPherson and Elizabeth Armstrong, of this parish, married on October 30th, 1817, by Reverend J (John) McKenzie, reverend of this place."

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: McPherson family member in Wigtown? I'd love some help!
« Reply #10 on: Monday 11 December 17 17:02 GMT (UK) »
I had looked at the 1817 marriage entry. In full it reads:

Portpatrick 30th October 1817

James McPherson and Elizabeth Armstrong of this Parish having had the benefit  of Proclamation of banns in this Church were married upon this thirtieth day of October one thousand eight hundred and seventeen years By the Revd J Mackenzie D.D. Minister of this Place.

signed by John Mackenzie D. D. at bottom of page.

Interesting wording  - not the more usual 2 liner :)

Do you have any further info on Elizabeth Armstrong?  It might give some background info.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline HermitCedar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 11 December 17 17:16 GMT (UK) »
I had looked at the 1817 marriage entry. In full it reads:

Portpatrick 30th October 1817

James McPherson and Elizabeth Armstrong of this Parish having had the benefit  of Proclamation of banns in this Church were married upon this thirtieth day of October one thousand eight hundred and seventeen years By the Revd J Mackenzie D.D. Minister of this Place.

signed by John Mackenzie D. D.

Interesting wording  - not the more usual 2 liner :)

Do you have any further info on Elizabeth Armstrong?  It might give some background info.

Gadget

Hey Gadget,

I do have a little more info on E. Armstrong...

I have, from the 1817 census, that she was born ~1798 or so (was listed as 73 at the time, and was living with her daughter and son in law, her son in law being the Robert Shaw I spoke of before). At this point in time her last name was listed as McGarvie. This threw me for a loop at first until I found her death cert ((Statutory registers Deaths 886/ 16)) where it lists her parents as what looks to be Thomas Armstrong (can't read it very well, not 100% about the first name) and Susanna Armstrong, nee Rennie (I think).

Here is the link from SP...

https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/view-image/nrs_stat_deaths/1999020?image=1&viewed_images=true

Anyway, on that death cert (she died in Inch in 1877, looks to say May 24th) it lists her first husband as James McPherson, and agricultural laborer, listed as deceased at the time. Her second husband, who I think was also deceased at the time, Robert McGarvie, a carpenter.

Hopefully some of that helps!

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 11 December 17 17:29 GMT (UK) »
Anyway, on that death cert (she died in Inch in 1877, looks to say May 24th) it lists her first husband as James McPherson, and agricultural laborer, listed as deceased at the time. Her second husband, who I think was also deceased at the time, Robert McGarvie, a carpenter.

That helps a lot - if we  find when she married Robert McGarvie (or find them on one of the censuses), it might help us work out an approximate date of James's death.

**I've just noticed that this thread has been merged with a previous one so will read that before I look any further**

:)

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline HermitCedar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 11 December 17 17:33 GMT (UK) »

That helps a lot - if we  find when she married Robert McGarvie (or find them on one of the censuses), it might help us work out an approximate date of James's death.

**I've just noticed that this thread has been merged with a previous one so will read that before I look any further**

:)

Gadget

Hrm, I just did a quick check on SP and I didn't see any McGarvie's marrying any McPhersons or Armstrong.

Wasn't an in depth search though... I can try to back into this later on! I've been so stone cold on this line for so long that I'm having a hard time staying motivated!!

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 11 December 17 18:07 GMT (UK) »

From your earlier post and now attached above, it looks like James died between May 1829 minus circa 9 mths and June 1834.

Looks like  James McPherson died sometime between the birth of his daughter Mary in1829  and Elizabeth Armstrong/ McPherson   marrying Robert McGarvie on 3rd June 1834 in Stoneykirk .

suzilad

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 11 December 17 18:10 GMT (UK) »
Just a though, and then I'll have to disappear for a while -

Have you checked for James in the Military records - some of my Kirkcudbrightshire relatives served in the Napoleanic wars and  married when they returned after 1815.

Gadget

Offline HermitCedar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 11 December 17 18:41 GMT (UK) »
Just a though, and then I'll have to disappear for a while -

Have you checked for James in the Military records - some of my Kirkcudbrightshire relatives served in the Napoleanic wars and  married when they returned after 1815.

Gadget

So, I haven't checked military records BUT I don't know how I'd even know if it were my James because I don't have his parents names, birth date, birth location, or etc :/

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 11 December 17 19:46 GMT (UK) »
You seem to have asked about James here as well:

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=781823.0