Author Topic: New member needs help getting RAF service number.  (Read 1320 times)

Offline Familytree54321

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
New member needs help getting RAF service number.
« on: Saturday 11 November 17 19:44 GMT (UK) »
I am a new member to Roots Chat and apologise if this is not the correct forum.  Someone advised me to join because of the members being really friendly and helpful, and they were confident someone would be able to help me, so here I am and I hope over time to be able to offer as well as receive help or advice.                           
Does anyone have any access or specific knowledge to be able to trace his WWII RAF service number for me please. James William Hudson, dob 1907 in Essex. His rank was only described as an RAF Pilot, unfortunately dates of service are not known as he passed away in 1989
There is no intention to send for any service records at this stage as it is only for background information, and if at a later date to enable it easier to trace records if an application is made.       If anyone can help locate his number I would be very grateful. Thank you

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: New member needs help getting RAF service number.
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 November 17 20:22 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat!

159938 J W Hudson appears in the London Gazette 18 April 1944 promoted from Pilot Officer to Flying Officer in the GD Branch (Pilots).

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Familytree54321

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 14 November 17 22:27 GMT (UK) »
MaxD
Thank you so much for your help. So I know for the future is the London Gazette easy to use and searchable.
I didn't even know records existed there, so something learned to pass on, the great part of what we do.
Any light you can shed is very welcome
Best wishes and regards

Offline daretodiscover

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 15 November 17 02:00 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat!

159938 J W Hudson appears in the London Gazette 18 April 1944 promoted from Pilot Officer to Flying Officer in the GD Branch (Pilots).

MaxD

Unfortunately, that number belonged to F/O Joseph William Hudson of No. 83 Squadron. Awarded the DFC in 1945:

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/37187/supplement/3782/data.pdf

AIR78/81/9 at Kew shows three James William Hudsons who served in the war:

1017734 James William Hudson shows an enlistment at Padgate after September 1939
1285701 James William Hudson shows an enlistment at either Uxbridge, Gloucester and Penarth after May 1940
1407701 James William Hudson shows an enlistment at Penarth after May 1941.

DTD

Offline bodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • bodger sen. jun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 15 November 17 08:33 GMT (UK) »
Further to previous above, my father was in the RAF at the end of the war, not sure what his position was but he was at one stage in Denmark involved in repatriation of refugees.
George Edward Bacon b.1906 Keighley, address at  the time of enlistment,

Victoria Nr. Hepworth, Huddersfield,
 im afraid no details of where or when, nearest small towns, Holmfirth, Penistone, Huddersfield, or Sheffield !!
                                                                     Thank You bodger
Attenborough, Bacon,Melbourne, Thorpe, Ride,Simpson/ Derbyshire, Judson,Bacon,/Keighley,
Lockett/ Manchester, Harling/ Lancaster & Manchester

Offline daretodiscover

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 15 November 17 15:33 GMT (UK) »
From AIR78/7/2:

1884157 George Edward Bacon enlistment at Cardington, after May 1943.

DTD

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 15 November 17 15:58 GMT (UK) »
Familytree54321 - I should have cross checked the other LG entries for the man I cited  - I misled you and I apologise, more haste less speed!

Thank you DTD for the clarification.  I had ignored Air 78 on the basis that they are airmen/women overlooking the fact that there were NCO pilots, presumably one (or more) of the three.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline bodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • bodger sen. jun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 15 November 17 16:13 GMT (UK) »
 daretodiscover,  Thank you for the info. bodger
Attenborough, Bacon,Melbourne, Thorpe, Ride,Simpson/ Derbyshire, Judson,Bacon,/Keighley,
Lockett/ Manchester, Harling/ Lancaster & Manchester

Offline Familytree54321

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 22 November 17 20:04 GMT (UK) »
MaxD & DTD thank you for looking, I apologies  in the delay getting back to you. I have a little more information I can add for JWH, that I didn't think was particularly relevant to put in my original post, in hindsight this should have been given originally as it may paid off.

James William Hudson, born July 1907 in Sheerness in Kent (Registration District I presume), He was married June Qtr 1935 in Lincoln district, his spouse Frances E Cordon. A child  Kenneth G or C Hudson was born in 1943    JWH served in the RAF for around 16 years, but I do not know his enlistment or Discharge dates.  I just wonder if any of this additional may help.

If either of you or anyone else would please look again I would really be gratefull.
Thank you