Author Topic: It's all in the the name - this had me researching the wrong information awhile!  (Read 979 times)

Offline OhioHogue

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
While researching my paternal side - and yes, his name was James Hogg (!) I kept finding this reference in newspapers. I searched and searched until one day the light came on! Now I collect them. Internestingly, I found the first two from Pomeroy and Gallipolis - the area he lived most of his life!!! Enjoy.

Belmont Chronicle (Saint Clairsville, Ohio), February 3, 1859
Mr. James Hogg was married to Miss Ella Beane, lately. What can be more natural than the union of pork and beans? But this union seems all one-sided only one bean to a whole hog.

The same “announcement” found in the following:

The Live Giraffe (Raleigh, North Carolina), March 12, 1859, The Portage Sentinel (Ravenna, Ohio), March 17, 1859, Penn Yan Express (Penn Yan, NY), March 24, 1875, Meigs County Telegraph (Pomeroy, Ohio), March 29, 1859, Nebraska Advertiser (Brownville, Nebraska), May 05, 1859, Staunton Spectator (Staunton, Virginia), September 12, 1865

Variations:

Detroit Free Press (Detroit, Michigan), September 13, 1866
Mr. James Hogg and Miss Ella Bean were lately joined in wedlock, at Rushville Indiana. According to the everlasting fitness of things this announcement should appear in our agricultural department. Among farm products the association of pork and beans has become a domestic fixture.

Gallipolis Journal (Gallipolis, Ohio), November 08, 1866
The people out west have a good idea of the fitness of things. Mr. James Hogg and Miss Ella Beans were lately joined in wedlock, at Rushville, Ind.

Offline mrs.tenacious

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: It's all in the the name - this had me researching the wrong information awhile!
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 November 17 17:14 GMT (UK) »
 ;D ;D ;D
Rogers: Sussex
Sanders/Saunders: Brenchley, Kent
Hales: Navenby, Lincs
Lidbetter: Sussex
Burns: Birmingham/Weston-super-Mare
Gray/Stocks: Weston-super-Mare
Hayden
Bubb: Kent
Ward: Notts

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: It's all in the the name - this had me researching the wrong information awhile!
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 November 17 19:38 GMT (UK) »
Hehehe  ;D