Author Topic: Convict - Permission to Marry  (Read 610 times)

Offline sharonkai

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Convict - Permission to Marry
« on: Sunday 12 November 17 00:04 GMT (UK) »
Could anyone tell me:

If a convict wanted to marry AFTER receiving a Conditional Pardon, would he have to get permission?

Following is his history:

1832 - Arrested and charged for stealing 2 cows (Leicestershire)
1832 - Sentenced to death
1832 - Sentence commuted to a Life Sentence
1832 - Transported to NSW
1833 - Arrived in NSW
1841 - Ticket of Leave
1848 - Conditional Pardon

I'd appreciate any assistance anyone can offer.

Thanks,
Sharon

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Convict - Permission to Marry
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 November 17 00:06 GMT (UK) »
No, he would not have needed to seek permission of the governor, BUT he may not have been aware that he no longer needed to seek such permission.    Of course if he wanted to marry someone who was bonded, his bride would have needed to seek permission.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline sharonkai

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 November 17 00:16 GMT (UK) »
Thanks majm, that's very helpful.  I'll check Ancestry at the library tomorrow, to see if they put in an application to marry.

The bride did work for a family after she arrived in 1854, and the marriage was in 1856.  Would there be any way of finding out if she was bonded to the family?

Once again, thanks.

Sharon

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 November 17 00:24 GMT (UK) »
 :)  I meant bonded as in still bound by a sentence of a court, and so requiring permission of the Governor.  Convictism effectively ceased in NSW in 1840.

Your lass would have been able to give her own consent to her marriage if she were aged 21 years and over.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline sharonkai

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 12 November 17 00:32 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, majm, my mistake - I misunderstand/misread your reply  :-[

The bride came as an Assisted Immigrant and worked for a farming family in Camden, and was 23 years of age when she married.

So, it looks like permission to marry didn't affect this couple - unfortunately for me!

Cheers
Sharon

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 12 November 17 00:41 GMT (UK) »
Married in 1856 .... Have you considered seeking out the information provided by the couple to the clergy who married them.   If married before 1 March 1856 (ie before civil registration commenced in NSW) perhaps the clergy did not record the names of the parents, BUT .... perhaps he may have, as it became a requirement on 1 March 1856.    Of course, there was a long running dispute that was not sorted until 1890s, so the NSW BDM holdings often only include summary information, but .... a 1856 marriage ... and if you are seeking details for the parents of either bride or groom .... it can be worthwhile seeking further than just the NSW BDM marriage cert and aim for the original parish register. 

JM

Offline sharonkai

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 12 November 17 01:56 GMT (UK) »
Thanks majm.

We purchased a record of their marriage from BDM and it had very little on it - no parents or places of birth.

We also accessed the church marriage records - on microfilm at the ANL - and some of the information, including parents and places of birth, hadn't been entered by the parish priest, unfortunately.

Cheers
Sharon