Author Topic: Moore family - Leicester  (Read 2271 times)

Offline sharonkai

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Moore family - Leicester
« on: Sunday 12 November 17 01:15 GMT (UK) »
I know this is a really long shot BUT I'm wondering if anyone can help me with any information on the family of an ancestor of mine, a convict in Australia, who came from Leicestershire? His name was John Moore, and he was born about 1807.

Following is a little information from John's trial, reported in the "Leicester Journal" on 24 March 1832:

John Moore, aged 25 years, was charged with stealing 2 cows, the property of Thomas Hatton of Whitwick, on 15 November 1831.  The cows were seen at Parkington, and one was later found at Balsall, near Birmingham.  He was found guilty and sentenced to death - his sentence was later commuted to a Life sentence. He was transported to NSW on the " ship Mangles" at the end of 1832, arriving in 1833.

In a another report about John's trial in the "Leicester Journal" of 23 March 1832, it said:

Several witnessed attempted to prove an alibi, among whom was the prisoner's mother, a poor woman of 70 years of age ....."

I have always wondered what happened to John's "poor" mother. John could neither read nor write, and when he said goodbye to his mother after his sentence, she would never have heard from him again.

I know there isn't much to go by, BUT I just wondered if anyone had any information for Mrs Moore, or her  family who were living in the Whitwick/Balsall/Parkington/Packington/Shepshed/Birmingham areas of Leicestershire, I would love to hear from them?

John went on to serve his sentence, and received a Conditional Pardon; he married and had 2 children; and when his wife was pregnant with their 3rd child, he was murdered.

Many thanks
Sharon

Offline Annie65115

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • HOLYLAND regd with guild of one name studies
    • View Profile
Re: Moore family - Leicester
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 November 17 12:36 GMT (UK) »
Whitwick/Balsall/Parkington/Packington/Shepshed/Birmingham areas of Leicestershire,

Whitwick, Packington and Shepshed are in Leicestershire. Parkington may be a variant of Packington.

Birmingham is a separate, much larger city in the West Midlands (Leic being in the East Midlands). Balsall is fairly close to Birmingham. Most of Birmingham was in Warwickshire but parts of the greater Birmingham area were also in Staffordshire or Worcestershire.

So if you think there are family connections to Birmingham, it may be worth posting on the Warwickshire board as well.
Bradbury (Sedgeley, Bilston, Warrington)
Cooper (Sedgeley, Bilston)
Kilner/Kilmer (Leic, Notts)
Greenfield (Liverpool)
Holyland (Anywhere and everywhere, also Holiland Holliland Hollyland)
Pryce/Price (Welshpool, Liverpool)
Rawson (Leicester)
Upton (Desford, Leics)
Partrick (Vera and George, Leicester)
Marshall (Westmorland, Cheshire/Leicester)

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 November 17 13:45 GMT (UK) »
The convict register for the Hulk 'Cumberland' moored at Chatham states that his parents were at 'Whittick near Loughborough, near the Queen's Head Public House'. 
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 15 November 17 15:04 GMT (UK) »
The image is extremely faint but the 1841 census for North Main Street, Whitwick has this family:

John Moore 65 Stocking m[aker]
Ann 75
Mary 28
Elizabeth 14
Thomas 12

Allowing for the 1841 roundings the age would tie in with being aged 70 in 1832.    A few pages forward is a Lydia Lydall, Publican, although it doesn't name the pub.  An Ann Moore of Whitwick was buried in 1842, but her age was given as 84  :-\
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline sharonkai

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 30 November 17 06:47 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much Jomot and Annie65115 - I do appreciate all the information you both sent.

(I'm SO sorry for the late reply - our internet has been out of action since the 15th of November, and we also had a week away, just returned on Monday - our internet was only fixed today. So this was the first chance I have had to get my mail.)

I'll look at what you both sent and send a reply tomorrow.  Having a quick look it does look very promising.

Warm regards
Sharon  :)

Offline sharonkai

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 02 December 17 09:23 GMT (UK) »
Jomot

UK Prison Hulk Registers and Letter Books for the hulk Cumberland:
I have a copy of the above record from Ancestry.com.  There is no mention in this record that the parents of John Moore were at 'Whittick near Loughborough, near the Queen's Head Public House'. Can you tell me where you were able to access this?

The death certificate for John Moore in 1859 in Camden, NSW states that his parents were John Moore and Mary Shaw.   It is not clear how this might relate to the family which appears in the 1841 census for North Main Street, Whitwick that you included. The father was John, which is the same as the death certificate, but the mother was Ann, on his death certificate it was Mary. Also, the Mary mentioned was only 28 in 1841 - so she couldn't be his mother. Mind you, John's wife supplied the information for John's death certificate and for their youngest child, who was born after John's death, and that information could be wrong.

Once again, thanks for all your help.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 02 December 17 12:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sharon

The record I referred to doesn't seem to be on Ancestry.  Its from this series, which is available from TNA or F M P:

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C535866

Offline sharonkai

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 04 December 17 00:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jomot

Thanks for your reply.  As we live in Australia we don't have access to either the TNA or F M P, unfortunately. :(

Once again, thanks for your help.

Warm regards
Sharon