Author Topic: John Evan's  (Read 3210 times)

Offline eileendavid

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Evan's
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 18 November 17 18:04 GMT (UK) »
I haven't seen the images of the baptisms either.  Its just putting everything together I get one thing that gels and the rest disintegrates.

I think I will be bald with pulling my hair out

Eileen

Offline eileendavid

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 10 December 17 16:47 GMT (UK) »
Since last posting on this topic have found that John Evans of my history died in 1833 whilst still living in Circus Street, Liverpool aged 53. Born 1780. Thanks to the people on this site pointing me in this direction.  Buried at St Johns Old Haymarket Liverpool

I have also found that his wife was Isabella (not found the marriage) but it's not Isabella Jones who married John Evans labourer. I know this as their children born in Wales with father John a labourer conflict with the family of John the shoemaker in Liverpool.

Isabella died 1848 and it gave her age as 52 so born 1796. Buried at St Johns Old Haymarket, Liverpool. Can anyone advise as to whether the death certificate would have her maiden name?

I have found children Thomas 1823, James & Sarah 1827, Edward 1829 and Mary 1831 all born at Circus Street father John mother Isabella at St Peter's Liverpool but not ELIZABETH 1821 or her elder brother JOHN who signed her marriage register in 1841 as she was a minor.  Both lived in Milton Street Liverpool.

Elizabeth had married Robert Forshaw and on the 1841 census on the born in the county it said no and an I was put in the other column.

Not found 1841 census for Thomas Evans 1823, James and Sarah Evans 1827.  Nor the 1851 census for John Evans 1816, Thomas, James and Sarah 1827, and Edward 1829.  Edward turned up on the 1871 census with his sister Elizabeth Forshaw nee Evans.  Mary was with Elizabeth on the 1851 and 1861 census then missing.

Isabella Evans was on the 1841 census living on own means in Milton Street Liverpool with John Evans 1816, Edward 1829 and Mary 1831  Both Isabella and John were not born in the county.

So where I go from here I don't know.

John Evans was 16 years older than Isabella so was he a widower?

Could his first two children John 1816 and Elizabeth 1821 be from a previous marriage?

John Evans 1780 and Isabella marriage earliest for her marriage 1814 (aged 18) to 1823 (first child born in Circus Street)  Need to find this marriage anyone help.

Much appreciate any help in untangling my Evans ancestry.

Eileen :-\

Offline lancsann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 10 December 17 19:04 GMT (UK) »
On Elizabeth’s marriage to Robert Forshaw surely it is her father who is named in the father column - John a shoemaker, not her brother. There is also a witness Elizabeth Jones - a relative? The witness John Evans could be either her father or her brother.

Incidentally an I in the column on 1841 means born in Ireland

Offline lancsann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 10 December 17 19:31 GMT (UK) »
The death certificate would not give her maiden name. Possibly the only extra information you would get is the name of the informant

Offline eileendavid

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 11 December 17 08:10 GMT (UK) »
Hello Lancsann

The death certificate would not give her maiden name. Possibly the only extra information you would get is the name of the informant

Thanks for the information don't think I will send for it.

On Elizabeth’s marriage to Robert Forshaw surely it is her father who is named in the father column - John a shoemaker, not her brother. There is also a witness Elizabeth Jones - a relative? The witness John Evans could be either her father or her brother.

Incidentally an I in the column on 1841 means born in Ireland

Yes it is her father who was John the shoemaker.  I was referring to the witness signature as being her brother as her father had died in 1833.  The other witness Elizabeth Jones I thought might have been her brothers intended.  I found a marriage of a John Evans to Elizabeth Jones but the signature didn't match.

Offline eileendavid

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 11 December 17 08:57 GMT (UK) »
Please is there anyone who can give me any further details on this marriage

NAME:    John Evans
SPOUSE:    Isabella Wethy
MARRIAGE:    date - city, Lancashire
Lancashire, England, Church of England Marriages and Banns, 1754-1936BIRTH, MARRIAGE & DEATH, INCLUDING PARISH

Online amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 11 December 17 09:09 GMT (UK) »
Bishop's Transcripts only on ancestry
the date was 3 February 1800 at St Nicholas Liverpool by license.
John Evans a mariner and of the parish, Isabella Wethy spinster of the parish.

ADDED
Lancashire Parish Records online

John Evans married Isabella Kelley, 3 Feb 1800 St Nicholas Liverpool by license, witnesses are Edward Coventry and John Kelley
This entry is from the original parish register

Looking at the image on ancestry (bishops transcripts) I can see why it was transcribed as Wethy

The John Evans you are looking for was a shoemaker, requiring an apprenticeship of 7 years.

Offline eileendavid

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 11 December 17 09:12 GMT (UK) »
Hello Amondg

Thanks for that at least that's another Isabella I can discard.

Eileen

Offline lancsann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 11 December 17 12:53 GMT (UK) »

Yes it is her father who was John the shoemaker.  I was referring to the witness signature as being her brother as her father had died in 1833.  The other witness Elizabeth Jones I thought might have been her brothers intended.  I found a marriage of a John Evans to Elizabeth Jones but the signature didn't match.

yes sorry - I had forgotten when I posted that that you had said father John had died in 1833