Author Topic: William Reid m Jane Gordon 1833 Cairnie  (Read 2014 times)

Offline surfingpiglet

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Reid m Jane Gordon 1833 Cairnie
« on: Sunday 12 November 17 11:59 GMT (UK) »
I have traced my Grandfather Alex Reid's family 2 generations back to Alexander Reid b.16.3.1840.in Drumblade.. Baptised 24.4.1840. He was my G G Grandfather and my line comes down through his son John Reid b. Toliphin, Auchindoir & Kearn who moved to Fifè aged 5yrs with his parents and later married Agnes Swan.
I am now looking for any info about Alexander senior's parents William Reid & Jane Gordon who married in Cairnie, Huntly on either 24.2.1833 or 28.3.1833.
Any info on either William or Jane would be appreciated. especially birth date & place of birth of William Reid &/or his parents or his wife.  Hoping someone can help.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: William Reid m Jane Gordon 1833 Cairnie
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 November 17 14:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi ,

Have you looked at death certificates for William(d. 1895 age 85 ?) and Jane(d. 1903 age 90 ?) ?
Stone 360 Kirkyard of Drumblade-
William Reid 31st March 1895
Jane Gordon 17th July 1903

I think I have William and Jane for the 1841 , 1851 , 1861 and 1871 Census on FreeCEN.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline ruthhelen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 November 17 14:56 GMT (UK) »
Assuming this is the William Reid and Jean/Jane Gordon who are at Crofts of Newton, Drumblade from 1841 to 1891, then I think it likely that this William Reid was born in February 1809 to George Reid and Margaret Pope/Poss/Popp in Drumblade.

Jean/Jane Gordon could be the Jean Gordon born in November 1807 in Drumblade to William Gordon and Elizabeth McKenzie - although her age in census transcriptions consistently puts her year of birth around 1813.

As ev has already spotted, there is a death for a William Reid of the right age in Drumblade in 1895; and a death for a Jane Reid (other name Gordon) in 1903 in Huntly. If you have a look at these on Scotland’s People they should hopefully confirm the names of their parents.

Ruth
McArthur, Milne, Mitchell, Black, Robertson, Morrison, Slessor, Lawrence - Aberdeenshire/Banffshire. Muir, Waddell, Fraser, Orr, Cowden - Lanarkshire/Renfrewshire/Dunbartonshire. Dalziel, Dalzell, Gourley, Cromie, Crombie, Bell - Co Down. Lewis, Corrigan, Morris, Cox, Hay - Monmouthshire/Pembrokeshire.  Baker, Ginger, Woodhurst, Swift, Jones - Kent/London.

Offline surfingpiglet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 November 17 15:03 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both so much. Hoping that there new leads will put me on the right track. Anne.

Offline surfingpiglet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 22 May 19 21:44 BST (UK) »
Re William Reid m Jane Gordon
m. 1833 ? Cairnie.

Having no luck in finding a marriage record?  Would it be in the Cairnie Parish Records?  I am in the area until Saturday looking for records and grave stones.  Where should i look for Cairnie/Drumblade Parish Records ? Would it be Huntly Library ?
Thanks.

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 22 May 19 22:11 BST (UK) »
The marriage of William Reid and Jane Gordon is clearly showing in the OPR marriage records on Scotlands People - 24/02/1833 Cairnie.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 22 May 19 22:33 BST (UK) »
Where should i look for Cairnie/Drumblade Parish Records ? Would it be Huntly Library ?
If Huntly Library is handy for you, they might have a microfilm copy of the Cairnie parish register. There are definitely copies in Aberdeen Public Library, the Aberdeen and North-East Scotland Family History Shop in Aberdeen, and in the North-East Scotland Library Service headquarters in Old Meldrum.

But the easiest way to see it is, as Millmoor says, to look it up on Scotland's People www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk - it's pay-per-view but modestly priced.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.