Author Topic: Help with grave location from Trench Map  (Read 693 times)

Offline Gwil

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Help with grave location from Trench Map
« on: Sunday 12 November 17 13:40 GMT (UK) »
Trench maps reading and converting the info to Google maps etc has never been my forte. I wonder if someone more proficient could have a look at the Trench Map reference given in the 'Concentration' tab for 40128 Tom Williams, 1st RWF  ( 57c.S.18.b.6.0) and show the location on a trench map and also on Google Maps.

CWGC
https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/610161/williams,-tom/

Thanks in advance.

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help with grave location from Trench Map
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 November 17 15:30 GMT (UK) »
East of Longueval, on the south edge of Delville Wood just before it turns northwards, about seven little dots from the figure 18 on the trench map.  Google Earth will find t search Longueval France

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=14&lat=50.0305&lon=2.8213&layers=101465182&right=BingHyb

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Gwil

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 November 17 16:15 GMT (UK) »
Brilliant Max, many thanks. I'll link this page so that his relatives can see. He's been taken some distance to Serre Road No 2 Cemetery. Delville Wood Cemetery is literally yards away down the road. Mind you, the concentration forms suggest the exhumation was 1931 so the nearest cemeteries would be well established and possibly full by then.

Indulge me a bit here to see if I understand this.

The reference is 57c.S.18.b.6.0

The 18 in the reference is that square which has Delville Wood written at the top of it. The squares with the numbers are further split into 4 squares i.e A and B with C and D under them. In  square B (i.e top right section of 18) the co-ordinates are 6 along (out of 10) and nil up (out of ten).

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 November 17 17:25 GMT (UK) »
Exactly!

Yes I would agree that the lateness of the find would probably explain why he was subsequently interred some way away. The other two brought in to Serre were both found no more than a kilometre from your man.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Gwil

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 12 November 17 18:32 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Max