Author Topic: Early 1800s South African Military Records and Corfu in 1840s  (Read 483 times)

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton,Manchester.
    • View Profile
Re: Early 1800s South African Military Records and Corfu in 1840s
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 14 November 17 19:47 GMT (UK) »
i think you can rule this William out,,,i can see a William Gibson of the 42nd collecting his pension in Glasgow right up to 1875. And he started collecting it in 1859,,,so is probably this William.

I cant see any other service records for a William Gibson b c 1820 serving in the regiments i mentioned above.
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline SantaSandy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 14 November 17 19:51 GMT (UK) »
Can you check for his father for me. He appears to have received permission to stay in South Africa around 1817 so would have left the army then.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline SantaSandy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 15 November 17 10:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I want to thank you most sincerely for all the replies to my questions. I am happy to look myself if I know where and how. Any links or books that you would recommend would be appreciated. Have a great day. Regards Sandy