Author Topic: Early 1800s South African Military Records and Corfu in 1840s  (Read 1566 times)

Offline SantaSandy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Early 1800s South African Military Records and Corfu in 1840s
« on: Sunday 12 November 17 19:40 GMT (UK) »
I have a few ancestors that traveled as Soldiers to South Africa. I know one was in the Royal Africa Corp and another stationed at Cape Town Barracks and Fort Beaufort. A child was born on Corfu in 1843. I have tried various Military Sources but have found the information at this time to be very limited. Can anyone please help with with some ideas of where to look next. Thanks in anticipation.

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
Re: Early 1800s South African Military Records and Corfu in 1840s
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 November 17 00:57 GMT (UK) »
If you post a specific query...maybe we can direct you as to where to look.
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline SantaSandy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 November 17 01:31 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for ancestors who went to South Africa as soldiers. The first is Evelyn(Evelin) Neil (Neal/e) as a private in the Royal Cape Corp. He married in 1821 and left the military in 1825. I am led to believe that joining this regiment was for deserters and criminals avoiding prison. I would like to find out which he was and find some details of his time with the regiment.
Secondly I have an Irish ancestor James CAHILL born 1775 who went from Ireland. His son was born in Fort Beaufort in 1805. He died in 1837. I would like to find his military record.
Thirdly I have possibly father and son both called William GIBSON who appear to have been military men. The elder appears to have a permit to remain in 1817. The younger appears to have been born in 1820. The younger had a daughter born on Corfu which had a military presence in 1843. I have no idea who either was married to or where the father came from. I have some possibilities as to the deaths of each but as these is a common name am unsure if they are for my two ancestors. Both death certificate don't reflect wife or children. I will appreciate any help or links to help flesh out these people. I do have another but he was joined in 1850s named James SHOOTER and I was able to get his military record. Thanks in anticipation. Warm regards Sandy

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 November 17 20:54 GMT (UK) »
only record i can find is this chap.....discharged in Capetown in 1820.attested 1798. There is no family info in records from this period.

First name(s)   James
Last name   Cahill
Birth year   1776
Birth parish   Saint Kerns
Birth town   Saint Kerns
Birth county   Kings (Offaly)
Birth country   Ireland
Service number   -
Regiment   -
Year   1798
Attestation date   01 Oct 1798
Attestation age years   22
Discharge corps   54th (Or West Norfolk) Regt Of Foot
Document type   Discharge
Series   Wo 97 - Chelsea Pensioners British Army Service Records 1760-1913
Archive   The National Archives
Archive reference   WO 97
Box   670
Box record number   18
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire

Offline SantaSandy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 November 17 21:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi, that is absolutely great. Regiment, attest date and other info that I don't have. Would love that on my mysterious William GIBSON father and son. I don't even know where they came from. Greatly appreciated. I am not sure hat time it is where you are but enjoy what's left of your day. Thanks Sandy

Offline SantaSandy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 13 November 17 21:10 GMT (UK) »
Sorry I am new here  and just looked at your profile. I will excited to get a reply while I am washing the dishes.  My son works in Manchester but lives in Wigan. Thanks Sandy

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 14 November 17 18:06 GMT (UK) »
what was the name of the daughter who was born in Corfu?

Offline SantaSandy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 14 November 17 18:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gortonboy,
It is Jane Ann GIBSON in 1843 to William GIBSON and an unknown wife. I am not aware of any other children but I found a few more GIBSONs born on the Ionian Islands round about the same time. She married John CAHILL in Kingwilliamstown on 14 October 1864. He died in 1874 and she married James LANG on 28 September 1875. She died in Stellenbosch in 1925.  I would appreciate any help as I try to find out my ancestors,
Thanks

Sandy

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 14 November 17 18:44 GMT (UK) »
i can put forward a candidate. According to the 1841 army index he was stationed in Corfu in 1841. His service record states he served 2 years 12 days in Corfu.So he could possibly have been there in 1843.I will check when the 42nd were deployed to Corfu.However,,this William served till 1858,and his intended residence on leaving the army was Stirlingshire.He also served in Malta,,Bermuda, Canada and the Crimea. He was in Bermuda in 1851.

First name(s)   William
Last name   Gibson
Birth year   1820
Birth parish   Carnwath
Birth town   Carnwath
Birth county   Lanarkshire
Birth country   Scotland
Service number   1076
Rank   PRIVATE
Regiment   -
Year   1837
Attestation date   17 Nov 1837
Attestation age years   17
Attestation age months   6
Discharge corps   42nd Rl Hd Reg Of Infantry
Discharge service number   1076
Document type   Discharge
Series   Wo 97 - Chelsea Pensioners British Army Service Records 1760-1913