Author Topic: Emma Jemima Ravenscroft  (Read 729 times)

Offline jan21

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Emma Jemima Ravenscroft
« on: Sunday 12 November 17 20:06 GMT (UK) »
  ???  Hi everyone. I am researchin emma jemima Ravenscroft born 1810/7 in Fort William, India. This lady went on to marry in Britain,inNovember 1851, Rev.Robert Devereaux who on the death of his father became 15th Viscount Hereford, and she became Viscountess Hereford. The mystery is....there are details for all the viscountess' up to her, and although she is recorded as having married him, there are no portraits or pictures or photos of her at all!! This is unusual, as all titled people have their portraits done in their regalia and pictures/photos when possible.  Yet there are NONE of Emma Jemima Ravenscroft.   When he died, she went on to marry John Ireland Blackburne in 1857 who was also a wealthy person and an influential politician for most of his life, born into money and inheriting wealth and large stately type houses, yet again...no pictures of her here either but many of him.   What was it about Emma Jemima that protocol and society did not like? Was she rubbed out of history of the titled society, and the political society? And why? If anyone can shed any light on where I can find a picture of this lady I will be extremely grateful as I have been searching for months and am going around in circles. Done the peerage sites, etc and her family tree shows no photos either. PLEASE SOMEONE HELP!!! Beginner wilting here. xxxx

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Emma Jemima Ravenscroft
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 November 17 23:40 GMT (UK) »
Can't help with any picture, sorry.

The 1851 census shows that they had five children by then having married in 1841.

Did you obtain the marriage cert to see what her father's name was?  I'm idly wondering if her father married a native Indian/East Indies woman and if Emma inherited her mother's skin colour perhaps that could be why there are no portraits of Emma.

The other possibility is that Emma was disfigured in some way and therefore not regarded as acceptable portrait material.

Or maybe Emma herself refused to have a portrait done for whatever reason.

Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 November 17 00:42 GMT (UK) »

Did you obtain the marriage cert to see what her father's name was?  I'm idly wondering if her father married a native Indian/East Indies woman and if Emma inherited her mother's skin colour perhaps that could be why there are no portraits of Emma.

I note from trees on Ancestry that her father George married a Louisa Ramus in 1801 in India.   With her surname I would imagine Louisa probably of mixed race.  I believe the name is of Spanish/Portuguese origin and know that a lot of Portuguese were settlers in India and married local girls.

I would imagine someone of mixed blood would not have been acceptable to the English aristocracy.

Annette 
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 November 17 07:32 GMT (UK) »
She married twice to wealthy men. 
If they chose to marry her, regardless of society, they could choose to have her portrait painted because that was within their power.
Any pictures of her children when young?
Did she get on with her family - they could have had her portraits destroyed.

Offline jan21

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 November 17 19:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi and thanks all for your posts. I have Emma's family tree e.g. born in india as was mum and dad. mum of portugese descent. I have details of both marriages. The first was classed as a Rev. Devereaux, but wealthy kids of titles used to buy these positions, no evidence of him ever being one. He inherited the title Viscount two yrs after marrying Emma Jemima Ravenscroft, in 1843 but there is another twist....in one of the Peerage websites it says THEIR son, another Robert, became the 16th viscount in 1843!  When in fact the Rev Robert Devereaux inherited in 1843 and was then known as the 15th Viscount Hereford. So a bit of a mystery there already. But its Emma I am interested in. I know her birth, death and her family tree, but nothing about her life, and there should be as she married two very influential and wealthy men. Yes, I have thought myself was she dark skinned, I wouldnt have thought so, her father was George Ravenscroft esq: merchant of East India company in Fort William, India which was a very big wig area populated by British hoy paloy and soldiers. Her mother obviously by her name catholic background, and the men may have had indian women but the women rarely did. But I still can get no pics of her anywhere. The seat of the 15th Viscount who she married, was in Tregoyd, wales, borders of Hereford and Wales. I have tried various sites linked with it but found nothing. I am a beginner really and I am sure I am missing something , some link. If anyone can help, much appreciate it. Thanks everyone xx