Author Topic: Northdown Rovers Football Team circa approx 1905  (Read 409 times)

Offline Yerbury11

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Northdown Rovers Football Team circa approx 1905
« on: Sunday 12 November 17 20:45 GMT (UK) »
My grandfather was Captain of the above football team based is Islington north London in the early 1900s.  I've found a photograph, unfortunately undated but I'd guess him to be mid teens?  He was born in 1887. I'm trying to find out more about him and this team. Sadly he was killed in WW1 in Macedonia in 1918 when my father was just two years old, so I have  nobody to ask.  Id be very grateful for any help please?

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Northdown Rovers Football Team circa approx 1905
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 November 17 21:03 GMT (UK) »
A report in the Islington Gazette - Friday 26 November 1909 gives the team of Northdown Rovers, as P.Wills; Joe Booth and Parrot; Crone, Blissett, and E. Wills; Leonard, James Booth, Shuttock, Speaight, and Mason.
In the Islington Gazette - Wednesday 06 April 1910. Hill; Grout and Hinks; Crone, Douglas, and Shuttack; Leonard, Wills, Blissett, Speaight, and Mason.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Yerbury11

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 November 17 09:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Stan,  many thanks for that, the Mason mentioned must've been my grandfather who would've been 22 at the time!  Shows how good I am at guessing ages!  Wonder if the paper will have anymore information? 
Karen

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 November 17 11:40 GMT (UK) »
There are only five reports on the Northdown Rovers, all in the Islington Gazette, one in 1909 and four in 1910. They are only reports of matches played and the team names.

Islington Gazette - Friday 26 November 1909
; Last week Northdown Rovers were defeated by Stoney-park by four goals to one.......The goal scorer for the Rovers was James Booth.
Islington Gazette - Tuesday 22 March 1910; Northdown Rovers met New Southgate Primrose  at New Southgate on Saturday and ran out winners of a hard-fought game by three goals to one. The scorers for the Rovers were Speight (two) and Blissett.
Islington Gazette - Wednesday 06 April 1910; Last week-end Northdown Rovers and New Southgate Primrose played a one all draw. Northdown scored through J. Blissett before half-time, but in the second half Primrose equalised.
In the Islington Gazette - Wednesday 16 November 1910 there is a long description of the game with Whitingham Rovers at Walthamstow, which they lost 1- 0, Mason was on the team. There is another long report in the Islington Gazette - Thursday 01 December 1910, where Northdown Rovers were away to Midland Argyle at Wood-green, which thay won 6- 4, again Mason was on the team.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk