Author Topic: Mold Place Name  (Read 4097 times)

Offline Jane Lucas

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mold Place Name
« on: Sunday 12 November 17 23:08 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone read this place name please. The clip is from a baptism Register for Mold which says Mary Ellis of ....
Searle, Searell, Searell, Bradridge, Furneaux, Mann, Palk(e), Webber, Caunter, Cantor, Scoble, Leatherbe(e), Pope , Bowden, Full, Colling, Widecomb. Harvey, Solomon, Willis, Grylls, Alger, Chugg, Rouse, Bunker, Richards, Hawkins. Devon.
Davies, Griffiths, Griffith, Jones, Ellis. Flintshire, Wales.
Robinson, Dennison, Birch, Howard, Barton, Jones, Rigby, Rimmer, Rhymer, Johnson, Marshall, Lunt, Ball, Illingworth, Hesketh, Taylor, Bolton, Abram, Spencer, Blundell. Lancashire.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mold Place Name
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 November 17 23:33 GMT (UK) »
Gwyssaney - now Gwysanau, I think

added - see http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/FLN/Mold
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 November 17 23:34 GMT (UK) »
You just beat me to it Gadget.lol
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/FLN/Mold

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jane Lucas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 November 17 09:11 GMT (UK) »
Brilliant .. thank you guys. I transcribed it correctly but couldn’t find anything that matched. Didn’t realise it is now spelt differently. I’m pleased to know it is Mold but that matches my search place.
I tried Clwyd list but it seems to be down.
Searle, Searell, Searell, Bradridge, Furneaux, Mann, Palk(e), Webber, Caunter, Cantor, Scoble, Leatherbe(e), Pope , Bowden, Full, Colling, Widecomb. Harvey, Solomon, Willis, Grylls, Alger, Chugg, Rouse, Bunker, Richards, Hawkins. Devon.
Robinson, Dennison, Birch, Howard, Barton, Jones, Rigby, Rimmer, Rhymer, Johnson, Marshall, Lunt, Ball, Illingworth, Hesketh, Taylor, Bolton, Abram, Spencer, Blundell. Lancashire.

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Father - swiving then vanishing since 1750
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 November 17 09:40 GMT (UK) »
It was spelt Gwysaney by all and sundry until quite recently, and still is on the map - historic Gwysaney Hall, the ancestral home of the Davies-Cooke family. Your relatives quite posh - or just servants or estate workers?
Skelcey (Skelsey Skelcy Skeley Shelsey Kelcy Skelcher) - Warks, Yorks, Lancs <br />Hancox - Warks<br />Green - Warks<br />Draper - Warks<br />Lynes - Warks<br />Hudson - Warks<br />Morris - Denbs Mont Salop <br />Davies - Cheshire, North Wales<br />Fellowes - Cheshire, Denbighshire<br />Owens - Cheshire/North Wales<br />Hicks - Cornwall<br />Lloyd and Jones (Mont)<br />Rhys/Rees (Mont)

Offline Jane Lucas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 13 November 17 10:18 GMT (UK) »
Definitely not posh! I thought it was an area not an estate. This is a baptism so perhaps parents worked on it. Mostly they were miners who definitely were not well off. They were still signing with a x well into the mid 1800s and moving around from pillar to post. A few farmers who seemed slightly better off. Most of the ones I claim so far are based in and around Northop and we’re colliers. So Mold is thankfully widening the gene pool... maybe!

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 13 November 17 11:09 GMT (UK) »
It was originally one of the old townships that comprised Mold, Jane. The Genuki link lists it and also a further bit of info about it here:

http://www.clwydfhs.org.uk/eglwysi/mold.htm

In 1865, part of the township of Gwysanau went to the new parish of Rhydymwyn.

Clwyd FHS and the person who wrote it up (once a stalwart of Clwyd FHS) seem to have consistently spelled it with the 'au' ending.

Note, in your example the long S is used

Gadget 
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Jane Lucas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 13 November 17 11:58 GMT (UK) »
Yes.. I was quite proud of recognising the long 's'.. but however I tried I couldn't match it up with anything obvious.. partly because there are so many places that look similar if you allow for changes of spelling. And I'm not familiar with Welsh place names...
But interesting about Gwysanau Hall... Davies is one of the family I am researching in that area... but there are millions of them!

Offline Jane Lucas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 13 November 17 13:02 GMT (UK) »
So... if someone is baptised at Mold..in this case Edward Griffiths, 1804 s/o John Griffiths and Mary Jones of Gwyssaney,  I’d start looking for parents marriage in same place . But nearest I can find is Northop .. which I like because that is where Edward Griffith susbsequently lived and died...(well.. at least I know he did from 1841 until death from Census records... not idea of where he was for first 27 years!)
But still there are a lot of other options.. I think I found 16 marriages for Mary Jones and John Griffith/s.. is the ‘s’ significant do you think? And would it be normal for someone to marry in Northop but have children baptised at Mold? I know what is ‘usual’ for Devon and Lancashire, but not Wales. Unfortunately his parents don’t seem to have survived long enough to appear in a Census record.