Author Topic: Andrew McIlwaine, sheriff of Londonderry  (Read 2068 times)

Offline pkincaid

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Andrew McIlwaine, sheriff of Londonderry
« on: Sunday 12 November 17 23:15 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone here know anything about Andrew McIlwaine who was sheriff of Londonderry in 1721, 1727, 1734 and 1740?

Kincaids (Kincade, Kinkaid, Kinkead, etc.) of Counties Londonderry and Tyrone.

Gardiners of Ramelton, County Donegal.

Offline pkincaid

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Andrew McIlwaine, sheriff of Londonderry
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 November 17 21:17 GMT (UK) »
As near as I can tell from the Londonderry Corporation Records, he was elected a burgess on 28 July 1720 and 1st elected Sheriff on 2 November 1720 (his office to start the next 2nd of February).  That was quick!  I have not yet found where he became a freeman of the City.

What happened to Volume 5 of the Corporation Records?  Is it lost?

Anyone have anything on McIlwaines (Makillwaine, Makilvaine, etc) in the Derry Cathedral records for the 1600s and early to mid 1700s?

Offline pkincaid

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 November 17 23:32 GMT (UK) »
Lucked out and found that he was admitted a freeman on 2 November 1711.

Offline Gortinanima

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 16 November 17 22:40 GMT (UK) »
His wife was called Katherine:

Children of Andrew & Katherine McIlwaine baptised St Columb's CI
Ann 24 Nov 1720
Mary 23 April 1723
John 3 April 1725
Nicollos 21 Sept 1726
Henery 31 Jan 1728/9
Katterine 22 July 1730
Jane 11 July 1732

Offline pkincaid

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 17 November 17 03:38 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Gortinanima!

I like to check here before running off and doing a lot of research as someone might have already done so.  No need to plough someone else's field so to speak.  I got little feed back to I assume not much has been done on this family.

Your baptism entries points to something I found in the Registry of Deeds records which suggest Katherine was a second wife.  A memorial dated 14 September 1739 records a lease of 3 lives of which one was Henry Makiliwaine, 7th son of Andrew Makiliwaine of Londonderry, barrack master [Ireland.  Registry of Deeds.  Vol. 100, p. 469, no. 71273].  If the same person, then he had 4 sons by a previous wife.

Andrew seems to have married a 3rd time.  This time to Lucy Noble of Derrygree, County Fermanagh.  His marriage articles with her are recorded 27 September 1746 and in it her refers to a Lease granted to him of a tenement on Bishop's Street where he lives which was for his life and the lives of his sons John and Henry [Ireland.  Registry of Deeds.  Vol. 123, p. 489, no. 84619].

McIlwaine/McElwain/etc. does not seem to be common about Londonderry.  Were there other baptisms in St. Columb's records?  This is something I do not have access to.

My interest in the McIlwaines is because there is a 1734 marriage licence bond made for the marriage of John Kinkead and Elizabeth McIlwaine [Index to Raphoe Marriage Licence Bonds, 1710-1755 and 1817-1830.  Transcribed by Rosemary ffolliott.  Dublin: The Irish Ancestor, 1969.  Published as a free supplement to The Irish Ancestor. 8].

Andrew's 1746 marriage to Lucy Noble is interesting, because in 1732 there was a John Kinkead of Aghansillagh, Drumachose Parish married to a Jane Noble who I can find no further trace of.  Perhaps he is the same person as the John Kinkead who married Elizabeth McIlwaine in 1734.

Regardless, I sure appreciate any information that helps sort out the McIlwaines about Londonderry City in the early 1700s.  I can and will continue to search the Registry of Deeds and Derry Corporation records.  Outside of that, tidbits are appreciated!

Offline Gortinanima

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 17 November 17 17:39 GMT (UK) »
That appears to be the only McIlwaine family registered in St Columb's

Missed these 2 from the index as they were listed as Mc:Wane

Buried 21 Dec 1739
Henery Mc:Wain

Buried 22 April 1745
Keatherin the wife of Mr Andrew Mc:Wain

Offline Gortinanima

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 17 November 17 17:43 GMT (UK) »
Marriages

Dec 26 1748
Moses Rankin to Elizabeth McWain

1765 May 20
Wm McIlwain to Mgt (ms faded)

1774 16 May
Adam Anderson to Francis McIlwane

Offline Gortinanima

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 17 November 17 17:47 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Gortinanima!

I like to check here before running off and doing a lot of research as someone might have already done so.  No need to plough someone else's field so to speak.  I got little feed back to I assume not much has been done on this family.

Your baptism entries points to something I found in the Registry of Deeds records which suggest Katherine was a second wife.  A memorial dated 14 September 1739 records a lease of 3 lives of which one was Henry Makiliwaine, 7th son of Andrew Makiliwaine of Londonderry, barrack master [Ireland.  Registry of Deeds.  Vol. 100, p. 469, no. 71273].  If the same person, then he had 4 sons by a previous wife.

Andrew seems to have married a 3rd time.  This time to Lucy Noble of Derrygree, County Fermanagh.  His marriage articles with her are recorded 27 September 1746 and in it her refers to a Lease granted to him of a tenement on Bishop's Street where he lives which was for his life and the lives of his sons John and Henry [Ireland.  Registry of Deeds.  Vol. 123, p. 489, no. 84619].

McIlwaine/McElwain/etc. does not seem to be common about Londonderry.  Were there other baptisms in St. Columb's records?  This is something I do not have access to.

My interest in the McIlwaines is because there is a 1734 marriage licence bond made for the marriage of John Kinkead and Elizabeth McIlwaine [Index to Raphoe Marriage Licence Bonds, 1710-1755 and 1817-1830.  Transcribed by Rosemary ffolliott.  Dublin: The Irish Ancestor, 1969.  Published as a free supplement to The Irish Ancestor. 8].

Andrew's 1746 marriage to Lucy Noble is interesting, because in 1732 there was a John Kinkead of Aghansillagh, Drumachose Parish married to a Jane Noble who I can find no further trace of.  Perhaps he is the same person as the John Kinkead who married Elizabeth McIlwaine in 1734.

Regardless, I sure appreciate any information that helps sort out the McIlwaines about Londonderry City in the early 1700s.  I can and will continue to search the Registry of Deeds and Derry Corporation records.  Outside of that, tidbits are appreciated!

It is possible that the first 4 sons were children of Andrew & Katherine but not recorded in St Columb's.

St Columb's only records the baptisms of their children from 1720-1732.

Did they reside elsewhere before this?

Offline Gortinanima

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 17 November 17 17:54 GMT (UK) »
Noticed a marriage in 1703 St Columbs

John Rankin and Martha Kinkead both of this parish maried by publication 30th

(in light of the later Rankin/McIlwain marriage 1748)