Author Topic: Main Children  (Read 2312 times)

Offline Cienna

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Main Children
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 14 November 17 21:35 GMT (UK) »
Trish and  isobelw, thank you both so much for your info, it's wonderful to finally add some names to empty spaces........greatly appreciated.....this helps me so much.

Cienna :)

Offline fancy nancy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 24 November 17 10:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Cienna, William Lockhart Main and Mary Bryce had seven children being as follows:-

Christina Lockhart Main  1857 - 1936
Margaret Main 1859 - 1889
Robert Lockhart Main 1861-1862
Robert Lockhart Main 1863-1885
William Lockhart Main 1865-1871
Mary Bryce Main 1868- ?
Janet Main 1868-1955.

Janet married John Carswell  1871-1942 They married in Nemphlar in 1894  and had three daughters

Jeanie Walker Carswell born 1902
Christina Lockhart Main Carswell born 1904
Margaret Carswell born 1908

William and Mary were my G.G. grandparents both died at Jubilee cottage in Nemphlar and are buried in St. Kenigerns graveyard in Lanark

Offline Cienna

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 24 November 17 23:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi fancy nancy,

Thank you for your reply, I am helping a friend with his family tree and he comes down the line of William MAIN/Mary BRYCE.

His grandmother was Jessie MAIN twin daughter for William and Mary MAIN of Nemphlar (Lee Castle Estile) Lanark, Scotland, them being his g-g grandparents.

Has he been given the wrong info? I will not be able to give him a print out if in fact it's incorrect, I also have a newspaper article stating Jessie's golden wedding anniversary and it does state she is the twin daughter of the above mentioned......I will have do more research before giving it to him.

I also have that Jessie was married to John CARSWELL....totally confused now.....

Cheers

Cienna.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 24 November 17 23:50 GMT (UK) »
You might not know that the names Janet and Jessie are used interchangeably in Scotland. Your Jessie who married John Carswell is the one whose birth was registered as Janet.

Golden rule: if you mislay a Janet, look for Jessie; if you mislay a Jessie, look for Janet!

Janet Main and John Carswell were married in Lanark in 1891. See www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk for details.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Cienna

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 24 November 17 23:54 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Forfarian, so much for explaining that to me, so all is not lost, thinking I had the wrong info I was going to delete and start again...very much appreciated.

Cheers

Cienna ;D

Offline fancy nancy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 25 November 17 17:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi.
 I have the copy of Mary Bryce Main and her twin sister Janet Mains' birth certificate and they were born in Nemphlar near Lanark on the 11th of November 1868. parents William Lockhart Main and Mary Bryce who were married in Lanark on the 18th July 1851.
 As it was mentioned  earlier in Scotland Janet becomes Jessie in lots of families

Offline Cienna

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 25 November 17 23:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Thank you for the correct birth date, I was unaware the name Janet can also be Jessie, we have her as Jessie but I have added she was registered as Janet, I was very confused on that and almost deleted and started again....glad I didn't.
cheers

Cienna.

Offline fancy nancy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 26 November 17 09:15 GMT (UK) »
On my tree I go back as far as William's mother and father who died in 1866 and are buried in Lanark. I found their grave. I also have Mary's mother and father. I do not have dates yet as I am still searching the same line.

Offline Cienna

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 26 November 17 21:38 GMT (UK) »
I am still trying to get enough together to print out for the person I am helping, do you know anything of the Nemphlar (Lee Castle), Lanark, being in the LOCKHART family?.

I have some info but I have no connection to work on, if you can help I would greatly appreciate it.

Cheers

Cienna.