Author Topic: Main Children  (Read 2318 times)

Offline Cienna

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Main Children
« on: Monday 13 November 17 01:43 GMT (UK) »
Could some kind person please find some children for William Lockhart MAIN and Mary BRYCE, I do know they had twin girls one being Jessie, all born Lanarkshire, that's all I have.

Thank You

Cheers

Cienna :)

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
Re: Main Children
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 November 17 01:55 GMT (UK) »
Could some kind person please find some children for William Lockhart MAIN and Mary BRYCE, I do know they had twin girls one being Jessie, all born Lanarkshire, that's all I have.
Thank You
Cheers
Cienna :)

Hallo, Cienna.

Could you let us know roughly the years you are looking for?

All the best
Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Cienna

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 November 17 02:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Philip,

I have some dates that I think are wrong, but not entirely sure.....somewhere between 1866-1890's.

There should be around 7 children and I was given a date of marriage for William and Mary, there again I don't know if it's correct......thank you for you reply.

Cienna.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 November 17 08:56 GMT (UK) »
Lots of information at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk including the record of their marriage in Lanark on 18 July 1851.

The index at https://www.familysearch.org/search/collection/igi does indeed list 7 children born between 1857 and 1871, including twin girls in 1868. The originals of all these birth certificates are available at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk as above.

There are probably other children born between 1851 and 1854 who are not in the surviving registers of baptisms. The 1861 census, also available at www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, may list additional children.

Mary Bryce or Main died in Lanark in 1901, aged 70. Her death certificate, also from www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk, should tell you the full names of both her parents, including her mother's maiden surname, and it will say whether or not she was a widow, which will help to find William's death and hence his parents.

Scotland's People is pay-per-view but modestly priced.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Cienna

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 November 17 21:54 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Forfarian, this is a lot of info to go through, maybe now I will get somewhere, I thought the years ranges I was given may have been wrong looks as though I was wrong.......very much appreciated.

Cienna

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 13 November 17 22:05 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Forfarian, this is a lot of info to go through, maybe now I will get somewhere, I thought the years ranges I was given may have been wrong looks as though I was wrong.......very much appreciated.
Let us know how you get on, and don't hesitate to ask again (on this same thread - don't start a new one!) if there's anything else you need help with.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Cienna

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 13 November 17 22:38 GMT (UK) »
That is so very kind of you Forfarian, thank you so much, I am at the moment just plodding along trying to gather what I can......it's been a long process due to receiving a lot of wrong info and dates but slowly working it all out, your help is very much appreciated thank you again.

Cienna

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 14 November 17 13:39 GMT (UK) »
Here is a little info on Familysearch.Org;

Births;
Lanark, Lanarkshire to William L or Lockhart Main and Mary Bryce;
CHRISTINA LOCKHART Main 2 Sept 1857
ROBERT LOCKHART Main 23 Nov 1861
WILLIAM LOCKHART Main 20 May 1865
MARY BRYCE Main 11 November 1868
JANET Main 11 November 1868
WILLIAM Main 31 May 1871

WILLIAM Main Birth 14 May 1825, Lanark to John MAIN and Christian LOCKHART

Marriage of John/Christian was 18 July 1819, Lanark

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 14 November 17 13:54 GMT (UK) »
From the 1861 census there appears to have also been a Thomas and John  born before 1855.
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)