Author Topic: Dover Kent School teacher lookup 1935-1965 - Catherine Kelly  (Read 926 times)

Offline msk

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dover Kent School teacher lookup 1935-1965 - Catherine Kelly
« on: Monday 13 November 17 05:36 GMT (UK) »
Hello
Where would be the best place to find information on the following Dover Kent School teacher lookup 1935-1965 - Catherine Kelly  please?
Many thanks

Offline grandarog

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Original Ancestor
    • View Profile
Re: Dover Kent School teacher lookup 1935-1965 - Catherine Kelly
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 November 17 13:07 GMT (UK) »
You could try and find Dover History societies they mey be able to help. with Electrol roles etc.

I am sorry I did not Know we were not allowed to use material sourced from the 1939 register.
WAGHORN/E
KENWARD
HARRIS
DIXON
MARSHALL
MERCER
CARE
FAGG
RUSSELL
WOODRUFF      

All these  Families were Born and Bred in Kent

Offline msk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 November 17 13:17 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much, slowly but surely a little more info is coming to light :)
I am almost 100% certain that this is the person I am trying to trace.
Catherine Kelly at 16 Salisbury rd shown as widow .DoB  9 Sept 1877 Domestic duties.

After consideration, she was probably retired by the age of 62 and no longer teaching.  I am certain she taught from 1932 when she arrived in Dover, but still need to find evidence of it.  Do you perhaps know what the retirement age was in the '30's?   And would domestic duties just mean 'stay at home'?  Am wondering why she wouldn't have put 'Retired'.  Perhaps just a foible of the way Census is done or was done...

Offline msk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 November 17 13:33 GMT (UK) »
I have tried using the search function for the National Archives but am getting thousands of incorrect results  :D  What do I search for, exactly?

Offline Chris Doran

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 10 January 18 00:35 GMT (UK) »
If ours are anything to go by, local Education Committee minutes will record teachers' appointments, resignations/retirements, time off sick or at training courses etc  But they're very unlikely to be online and you'd have to spend some time at the local archives poring over the books which may not even have indexes. This assumes she worked in a local authority "elementary" school. In the above period  what was called "higher education" (County/Grammar Schools, Technical Institutes, etc.) was managed by Kent Education Committee whose records should be at Maidstone archives. Having identified the school and if it still exists, it may have old records or school magazines, though schools have been known to destroy everything on becoming academies.

All bets are off if it was a private school. This is a distinct possibility, as you say she was widowed and women normally had to resign from local government service on marriage. This requirement was beginning to relax by the late 1930s, especially during WW2, and didn't seem to apply to supply teachers. But it does mean that when going through LEA records you should look for a resignation on her marriage date as well as on retirement.
Researching Penge, Anerley, (incuding the Crystal Palace) and neighbouring parts of Beckenham, currently in London (Bromley), formerly Surrey and/or Kent.