Author Topic: Trying to find Edward Johonsen born Norway arrived 1861 Australia Ship YORKSHIRE  (Read 1994 times)

Offline Definos

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Edward Johnson (Johonsen) was born in 1834, Norway. His trade it states on his Marriage Transcription in NSW was a carpenter however no mother or father was recorded.

He married Susan Smith on 27 March 1871 in Scone, New South Wales. They had 11 children in 24 years. (Reg: 1871/3454)

He died on 28 August 1918 in Scone, New South Wales, at the age of 84. It was suggested Edward's name/s were altered upon entering the Australia.

Jorgen Battlason >This name was recorded on family history sheets as Edward Johnson's father given to Scone Historical Society by a descendant of Susan Johnson nee Smith (Edward Johnson's wife).  However not sure where this information was sourced.  I have not been able to locate anyone with that name. 

From the 'New South Wales Certificate of Naturalization' he was born in Norway and arrived in Australia in 1861 on board the ship 'Yorkshire' (his age at the time of signing the papers in 1874 was of 34).  (Ref No: 73:45)

I would love to find out more about 'Edward Johnson' - his birth and his parents.  Why he was born in Norway?  I have been told his Edwards parents were apparently Danish. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks so much!

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to find Edward Johonsen born Norway arrived 1861 Australia Ship YORKSHIRE
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 November 17 18:57 GMT (UK) »
Duplicate post

Removed.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Trying to find Edward Johonsen born Norway arrived 1861 Australia Ship YORKSHIRE
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 November 17 21:06 GMT (UK) »
Edward Johnson (Johonsen) was born in 1834, Norway. His trade it states on his Marriage Transcription in NSW was a carpenter however no mother or father was recorded.

No parents recorded on the registry certificate simply means that the registry records have not been reconciled with the church registers.  The C of E marriage register has been indexed by FamilySearch:

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XTZ8-DML

Mother's names are not indexed so the minister may not have recorded the information.

You should site the register for yourself:

https://www.familysearch.org/search/catalog/87179?availability=Family%20History%20Library

State library

http://archival.sl.nsw.gov.au/Details/archive/110346216?_ga=2.50668271.798178699.1510604040-262155425.1506517853

The baptism for daughter Sophia has the surname indexed as JOHNSON or JORGENSEN.  JORGENSEN would be correct if his father's name was Jorgen.

Debra  :)

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 November 17 21:24 GMT (UK) »
A possibility here, father Jorgen BERTELSEN:

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NHYM-1ZG

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 November 17 21:56 GMT (UK) »
Norway census is here http://www.rhd.uit.no/folketellinger/folketellinger_avansert_e.aspx

I think you will find Jorgen in Vestfold. 

Offline Definos

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 13 November 17 22:18 GMT (UK) »
Wow Debra!  Thanks so much!  I am searching through the Church records on Family Search at this very moment.  I had heard about it, but never even dreamed to search records on there.  Is it a free site to join do you know? 

Jorgen now makes sense. 

Thank you too for two more entries! Goodbye Tuesday for me!  Luckily it is only 9.14am! 
I really do appreciate this.  One thing I am surprised about is the fact that when I order a transcription for the Marriage of Edward and Susan it never mentioned Jorgen Battlason and yet, it was written on the record. 

Thanks very much!  There is a long and happy story about this and when I have time, I will tell you about it! 
Karen   :-*

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 14 November 17 00:10 GMT (UK) »
Here is the original birth record for this Edvard. He was born 28 Dec 1836:

http://urn.digitalarkivet.no/URN:NBN:no-a1450-kb20061204010086.jpg

Ian

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 14 November 17 00:16 GMT (UK) »
I was hoping you would pop in for a visit  ;D

Offline jamcat95

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 14 November 17 00:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Just a quick visit before bed. Just need to see if this is Edward.

Ian