Author Topic: Duke of Wellington's (West Riding) Regiment, esp. 1890s  (Read 610 times)

Offline lucymags

• RootsChat Senior
  • Slowly but surely...
    • View Profile
Duke of Wellington's (West Riding) Regiment, esp. 1890s
« on: Monday 13 November 17 10:39 GMT (UK) »
I think that I have probably exhausted most if not all online sources of information (including a couple of ebooks available in full) about this regiment by now, but thought I'd post here in case anyone had any further suggestions.

My particular interest is a man who served in the "Matabele Campaigns", at least the First Matabele War 1893-4 (under a complicated arrangement where they actually fought under the banner of the Bechuanaland Border Police, funded by the British South Africa Company). I even managed to find a couple of collections of old service records available online at the UK Archives, but couldn't spot my ancestor amongst them. I know that there is a way to request full service records from the MOD, but I'm a little reluctant to spend £30 at this stage, especially as there's no guarantee that it will give me any more than I already know. So any other suggestions would be welcome.

For anyone else who is interested, this site http://www.dwr.org.uk/ provides quite a bit of information of interest, as well as further sources (which led me to the two books available online).

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Duke of Wellington's (West Riding) Regiment, esp. 1890s
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 November 17 16:25 GMT (UK) »
Doesn't answer the question but no need to punt £30 - MOD only hold records until they are opened for public access at the National Archives and the period you are interested comes before that time.

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline lucymags

• RootsChat Senior
  • Slowly but surely...
    • View Profile
Re: Duke of Wellington's (West Riding) Regiment, esp. 1890s
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 14 November 17 00:46 GMT (UK) »
Doesn't answer the question but no need to punt £30 - MOD only hold records until they are opened for public access at the National Archives and the period you are interested comes before that time.

MaxD

Ah, thanks for that, Max, useful to know. Nothing turns up in the National Archives indexes under his name (or in the documents I trawled through), so I assume that's a dead end. I'll email the DWR Association, as they do have some records (for which they also charge a fee), but I suspect that theirs don't go so far back either.