Author Topic: Harriet Duffy(1805-1889) , maiden name ?  (Read 4423 times)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Harriet Duffy(1805-1889) , maiden name ?
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 18 November 17 01:37 GMT (UK) »
Am confused someone keeps posting that harriet is from another topic or thread and different country

I only joined recently and as far as I know I started this very topic about my descendants from Mayo Ireland and the search for my great grandmothers Maiden name.

All replies are about my family Duffy & Lowery so I do not know why or who keeps posting that I did something wrong, one poster says I "high jacked the thread"
Moderator please help, am I doing something wrong here?
Suzanne

Your original post was on an old thread about a different surname in Liverpool, if I remember correctly. Liverpool is in the county of Lancashire. It was I who suggested that your post be moved to a new thread and given a title which included the name of the person you were researching. My reasons were:
1. To give your enquiry more prominence, hopefully attracting more replies.
2. Make it obvious whom you were researching.
3. Bring it to the attention of someone who might know something about your ancestor, if not now, then in future.
4. To keep the old thread, started by another person about their Liverpool family to lines of enquiry connected with that topic and not complicate it by introducing another, unrelated and unconnected family, resident in another English county. A thread on RootsChat can become long and complex even when it sticks to the original enquiry.

I think the person who made the "highjacked" comment was replying to me. It was "shorthand" and meant it often happens that people, especially new visitors, add a post to a thread that's not connected with their own enquiry. That poster really meant " no worries". A moderator, on reading the comments, was of the opinion that it was better to create a new thread for your enquiry. The action was intended to help you.
There was no offence meant. You didn't do anything "wrong". Most people on here do the best they can with enquiries which turn up.  Comments and questions in reply to a query are intended to clarify matters so we have a better chance of getting somewhere.
 I look first at enquiries about names, places or topics I may know something about. I tend to ignore/ leave until later, enquiries whose titles contain no information.

If you have more than 1 thread about the same family a moderator will post a link to the other thread. This is partly so that people following the enquiries can easily look at both threads without information having to be repeated on both, or them wasting time finding information already known. Sometimes a moderator will merge 2 threads started by a poster if s/he thinks they are on the same topic and duplicating information. A moderator may move a thread to another sub board if they consider it a more appropriate "home". You will be told if these actions have been taken. All these things are done for the benefit of enquirer and people helping their research.

I joined RootsChat a year ago and am still finding my way around.  :)
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 18 November 17 01:43 GMT (UK) »
Where was Harriet in 1851?
There were 2 girls called Hannah Duffy at 16 Mill St., Hull, in the household of Michael & Mary Lyon. The elder Hannah, aged 12 is a match for Harriet's daughter, Hannah in 1861. Her relationship was described as "cousin". A Bridget Duffy, 38, wood seller, was "aunt"; Mary Duffy, 16 was another cousin. The younger Hannah, aged 5 may have been "daughter".  Harriet & John Duffy lived at Leaks Court (?), Mill St. in 1861.
1861. The same Bridget Duffy seems to have been at 21 Mill St. with daughter, Ann, 15 (possibly the younger Hannah from 1851).
Another Duffy family, headed by another Bridget,  also dealer in firewood, was at 62 Mill St. in 1851. She had 3 children born in Ireland and 1, Anthony b. Leeds 1843. Lodgers were Patrick & Betsy McLane.

Yes these are my family Ellen is daughter of Harriet & John Duffy as is Hannah.
Bridget Duffy is Johns sister
And yes all the Irish families that came over 1840's famine time in Hull lived or lodged in Mill Street area

Suzanne

Suzanne
Thank-you for that information.
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 18 November 17 04:29 GMT (UK) »
Am confused someone keeps posting that harriet is from another topic or thread and different country......
All replies are about my family Duffy & Lowery so I do not know why or who keeps posting that I did something wrong ....
Suzanne

I've read your posts on other threads and as far as I can see the only people who suggested you have a thread specifically for Harriet Duffy were me and the moderator of the board on which you  posted your seeking of Harriet's maiden name.

I saw that you added a post to a thread started in 2008 by Nickb with the title "1901 Census look-up". From reading the thread it seems as though the family in Hull which Nickb was seeking may have had a connection to a Margaret Lowery. You were correct to add a post to that thread. I suggest you add a PS to your post there to draw readers' attention to this post. You could add links between that thread and this or ask a moderator to add them. That way, readers of either post will know there may be more information about the family on this site. I hope Nickb replies and you are able to help each other.

Have you put the Duffy and Lowery surnames on the Surnames Interest List?
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 18 November 17 04:38 GMT (UK) »
Just found an old post of yours which I missed earlier. It's on a thread  "Harriet Eyton and John Duffy Marriage 1874". You said on that you thought Harriet's maiden name was Eyton. Do you no longer think she was Harriet Eyton?
Cowban

Offline famtree03

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 18 November 17 12:24 GMT (UK) »
Just found an old post of yours which I missed earlier. It's on a thread  "Harriet Eyton and John Duffy Marriage 1874". You said on that you thought Harriet's maiden name was Eyton. Do you no longer think she was Harriet Eyton?

This is Harriet and john Duffys son John Junior who married harriet Eyton

Offline famtree03

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 22 January 19 17:10 GMT (UK) »
So sorry have been off here for over a year
Am chronically ill so have to pace myself
Have done a lot more on ancestry UK and have my DNA results on MyHeritagr
Sadly not much more on
John Duffy & Harriet tho
Seams family may be from Aghamore or tomboholla both near Charlestown knock area
Still no surname for Harriet
Do have some married names for their children all born ireland then settled in Kingston upon Hull bout 1852 except Mary who must have stayed ireland or emigrated

Mary 1833 ?
Margaret 1836 walter lowry
Hannah 1839
Ellen 1840 ?
Catherine 1841 Brian Godfry
John 1843
Ptrik1845th HannahsShiply

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 22 January 19 19:59 GMT (UK) »
Hello again. Welcome back to RootsChat. Sorry you're not well.
I've been reading the thread to remind myself of what it's about.
Cowban