Author Topic: Genealogy and keeping data for the next generation  (Read 1941 times)

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
Re: Genealogy and keeping data for the next generation
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 14 November 17 15:05 GMT (UK) »
Technology is a two edged sword. Over time technologies are updated and your valuable research vanishes into the ether. 
You wont find my original research on rootsweb, it's vanished. 
Neither will you find my tree on gencircles because gencircles has vanished.
My original ancestry.co research also vanished and so too did the replacement.

I used to think my computer was a failsafe place too but over time updated computer programmes won't open dated programmes and additionally there are gremlins about that manage to make possessions such as backup disks, copying paper, memory sticks, ink in the cartridges, disappear like magic.

Exactly. This is why my husband (a computer programmer) doesn't trust "the cloud." I have digital files for my genealogy but I also print everything and put it into binders. (I know I should also have off-site storage in case of fire, flood, etc., but that's not do-able right now.)
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wanted: Charles Percy Liversidge
    • View Profile
Re: Genealogy and keeping data for the next generation
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 14 November 17 15:13 GMT (UK) »
I'll be on the 1951 but by 2051-ish I'll surely be dead - or very pleased to be alive!

As I have mentioned before, I have seen a census record of a living person.  The Irish 1911 census became available about 2004, when my mother celebrated her 100th birthday.  In 1911 she was with an aunt and cousin aged 7.  So you may well be able to 'see yourself'   :D
Tarr, Tydeman, Liversidge, Bartlett, Young