Author Topic: Wilson, Scar Top, Aysgarth  (Read 1337 times)

Offline Ardenside

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Wilson, Scar Top, Aysgarth
« on: Monday 13 November 17 15:02 GMT (UK) »
Christopher Wilson born 11th March 1810 at Scar Top, Aysgarth is my g grandfather. In the family he was known as 'Quaker Wilson'. Is anyone researching the Wilsons in that area? I would love to make contact.

Ardenside

Offline daniel1111

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Wilson, Scar Top, Aysgarth
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 November 17 22:23 GMT (UK) »
Wilsons are in my tree but this branch are on the very outer limits.

I can however, give the children of this Humphrey Wilson born 1773, if you do not already have them:

5.  HUMPHREY3 WILSON (THOMAS2, THOMAS1) was born 08 Aug 1773 in Carperby see Aysgarth PR, and died Mar 1854 in Askrigg see free BMD Records.  He married MARGARET.  She was born about 1780, and died 27 Feb 1824 in Aysgarth aged 44 see Ancestry Quaker Records.

More About HUMPHREY WILSON:
Census: 1851, Grocer at Aysgarth aged 76

Children of HUMPHREY WILSON and MARGARET are:
   i.   ALICE4 WILSON, b. 18 Jun 1804, Scarr Top Aysgarth see Quaker Records; m. WILLIAM WEBSTER, 02 Sep 1829, Aysgarth see Ancestry Quaker Records.

ii.   MARY WILSON, b. 15 Dec 1805, Scarr Top House Bainbridge see Quaker Records; d. Aft. 1851.
More About MARY WILSON:
Census: 1851, Living with father Humphrey grocer at Aysgarth

iii.   THOMAS WILSON, b. 17 Dec 1807, Scarr Top Aysgarth see Quaker Records; d. 23 Oct 1826, Aysgarth aged 18 see Quaker Records.
   iv.   CHRISTOPHER WILSON, b. 11 Mar 1810, Scarr Top Aysgarth see Quaker Records; m. ANN; b. about 1799.

More About CHRISTOPHER WILSON:
Census: 1851, Land agent at Benfieldside Durham

v.   ANN WILSON, b. 12 Jul 1811, Scarr Top Aysgarth see Quaker Records; m. CHARLES AIREY, 05 Jun 1852, Aysgarth see Aysgarth PR; b. Thoralby.

More About ANN WILSON:
Census: 1851, Grocers assistant at Aysgarth

More About CHARLES AIREY:
Aysgarth PR: 1852, Corn miller

vi.   JOHN WILSON, b. 07 Mar 1813, Scarr Top Aysgarth see Quaker Records.
   vii.   MARGARET WILSON, b. 12 Dec 1814, Scarr Top Aysgarth see Quaker Records.
   viii.   HUMPHREY WILSON, b. 18 Aug 1816, Scarr Top Aysgarth see Quaker Records.
   ix.   JANE WILSON, b. 15 Mar 1818, Scarr Top Aysgarth see Quaker Records.
Percival, Hird, Heseltine, Wilson,  Horn(e), Thwaite, Storey, Iveson, Metcalfe, Dinsdale and Sunter and the farms and families of Bishopdale.

Offline Ardenside

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 14 November 17 08:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Daniel 1111,
Thank you. I knew about Humphrey and Margaret but the detail of their children is new to me. I’m bowled over! Do you know exactly where this Scar(r) Top is? When my mother was alive we went searching and found 4 in the area, some in ruins but no evidence on which one was the Wilsons. I have Christopher’s birth certificate on a piece of parchment.
Ardenside

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 14 November 17 08:47 GMT (UK) »
A warm welcome to Rootschat

FindMyPast has a transcribed baptism for Christopher - birth place "Sca... Toss, Aysgarth Parish". This map shows Aysgarth parish pre 1832
http://www.genuki.org.uk/files/eng/YKS/YRY/Maps/NRYparishes.png
It's a big area.

The transcriber has had a problem with "Scar Top". Do your 1810 birth details identify Aysgarth or Aysgarth parish?

Can't spot a Scar Top near Aysgarth - only the 2 around the Culbeck area so far. 

Offline daniel1111

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 15 November 17 09:55 GMT (UK) »
I think that the Scar Top where the Wilson family lived was the one south east of Bainbridge.
If you look at the OS map for that area, you will see Brough Scar, Aldbrough House and then Scar Top.
There is another Scar Top shown, further east of this, but I know this is not the one, as my Hirst and Percival family farmed it for many years. And it is known as East Scar Top Farm.
Percival, Hird, Heseltine, Wilson,  Horn(e), Thwaite, Storey, Iveson, Metcalfe, Dinsdale and Sunter and the farms and families of Bishopdale.

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 15 November 17 15:02 GMT (UK) »
I had identified the two Scar Tops at Culbeck on this 1854 map-
http://maps.nls.uk/view/102344380
which appear to be the two identified in your last post?

The baptisms of the first two born to Humphrey and Margaret (Thomas 17 Dec 1807 and Christopher 11 Mar 1810) show "Scar Top". The next four (Ann 12 July 1811, John 1 Mar 1813, Margaret 12 Dec 1814 and Jane 15 Mar 1818) show "Aysgarth in the Parish of Aysgarth".

Offline daniel1111

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 15 November 17 20:05 GMT (UK) »
The first 4 of Humphrey Wilson and Margaret's children were all bap as of Scar Top.
The next 5 were bap at Aysgarth.
I can only assume that the family moved sometime about 1810/1811 ?
As said, they are not my close Wilson family, so have not paid much attention to this line.