Author Topic: PAF 5  (Read 1142 times)

Offline bodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • bodger sen. jun.
    • View Profile
PAF 5
« on: Monday 13 November 17 15:31 GMT (UK) »
For many years i have been using the above, i know it is no longer supported, and i have had a couple of  computer failures in the last 5 years but i recently tried to send my latest version to Ancestry but it wouldn't download  , being rejected has " not genuine", on my computer it still works ie I can  add, change, and manipulate,  I have a back up disc installed and i also use a USB stick  using both regularly for back up.
I think during the comp failures something went astray ?. Is there a method of legalizing my "non genuine "  file so that  i could move it to another genealogy site if i so wished ?
                         Thank You, bodger
Attenborough, Bacon,Melbourne, Thorpe, Ride,Simpson/ Derbyshire, Judson,Bacon,/Keighley,
Lockett/ Manchester, Harling/ Lancaster & Manchester

Offline Pejic

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: PAF 5
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 November 17 15:51 GMT (UK) »
Are you trying to export to "Ancestral File or Pedigree Resource File" or to "Other GEDCOM 5.5"?

If the latter I am worried as well, though I haven't tried it lately.
Richard Wernham (Berkshire 18th century),
William Hissey (1805 to 1813, Hampstead Norris),
Kapirin (Siberia 19th Century),
Kitching 1850,
Mary Howse born 1806 ish,
Chris Truelove marr. John Pocock 2-7-1696, Kintbury, Berks

Offline bodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • bodger sen. jun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 November 17 16:39 GMT (UK) »
I have a tree on Ancestry, and every now and again i replace it with my current tree  on my computer  as it grows and then delete the old tree from Ancestry.
                                                            bodger
Attenborough, Bacon,Melbourne, Thorpe, Ride,Simpson/ Derbyshire, Judson,Bacon,/Keighley,

Offline mgeneas

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 November 17 17:32 GMT (UK) »
I uploaded a tree from PAF 5 to ancestry a few weeks ago without any problem.

Offline bodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • bodger sen. jun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 15 November 17 10:16 GMT (UK) »
Error: The file you have specified (paf5.exe) does not appear to be a valid GEDCOM file, please try again.

Above is the message i get from Ancestry when trying to export my current file to them. Anyone know how re validate , ie, should i try sending to another source to see if it's accepted , any advice welcome. bodger

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 15 November 17 10:31 GMT (UK) »
From the error message you give it seems you have tried to upload your Paf program file to Ancestry rather than your gedcom file created by Paf.
The gedcom file name will end in .ged or .GED
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline bodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • bodger sen. jun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 15 November 17 12:38 GMT (UK) »
Guy, you hit the nail on the head, i think i have problems, searching my computer for "GEDCOM" i get 4 results

1   Type paf file, size 860 KB, Modified 15/11/2017 (i think thats because i looked at it today)
2    Family GEDCOM, Modified 14/10/2013, Type Win Rar Zip file, size 176 KB.
There are 3 of these identical apart from a 2 minute interval on modification date

When i open the paf file above it shows  1840 persons on the individual  list, the paf file i use on my computer has 3277 individuals.

It would appear i have a lot of back tracking to carry out , or would it be possible to merge and  update the GEDCOM to my latest version ?

What is and what do you do with a WinRar Zip file, iv'e a feeling that when i backed up my files  years ago it automatically saved as the above file.
I have my current paf file saved on a back up disc and on a USB , and this is where i think i went  astray ?
                                                              Thank for your response, bodger

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 15 November 17 13:26 GMT (UK) »
Is the file in 1 Type paf file, size 860 KB up to date, if so then use PAF to create a gedcom file of it.
Do this by choosing export Ged from the PAF menu (I have not used PAF for about 10 years so am not exactly sure where on the menu the export and import gedcom options are).
Don't save it as a zip file as no gedcom import program will recognise a zip file as a gedcom

Then export that new gedcom to Ancestry

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline bodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • bodger sen. jun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 15 November 17 14:59 GMT (UK) »
Guy, All done & dusted, panic over.
                                              Thanks again Tony aka  bodger