Author Topic: How do you verify if you are connected to nobility?  (Read 2213 times)

Offline Lily M

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: How do you verify if you are connected to nobility?
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 14 November 17 18:27 GMT (UK) »
William Plymsell, who witnessed your Mary's marriage, also witnessed the marriage of Elizabeth Plymsell 1823 and Sarah Plymsell 1829.  Same signature.  All marriages in Tedbury.

Thomas Plymsell got married at Tedbury in 1823. Witness was Thomas Avery. 

So these MIGHT be the Mary b.1798; Thomas b.1800; William b.1805 and Elizabeth b. 1802 baptised Crediton with parents William and Elizabeth.

Offline Lily M

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 14 November 17 18:55 GMT (UK) »
As posted by larkspur, William Plymsell son of Amos and Cecily, was baptised in March 1774.

William Plymsell married Elizabeth Manning at Crediton in April 1795.

These all seem to tie together nicely - but -  this William signed with a cross, so not the one who witnessed the marriages.  Also, it says on the marriage record that William was a minor.  Therefore, must have been born later than March 1774.

It's all so close, but not quite right.

It would be good to find a William Plymsell with the same signature as the marriage witnesser.  Mary's brother William also signed his marriage with a cross.

Offline Essnell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 17 November 17 05:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Everyone,

I'm a little fish in this scene and no real expert.
BUT:...
I have stopped adding to my tree because of this precise issue. Copying info that is not corroborated by official document or even by those that are incorrect.

I have even taken down much of what I uploaded. I also contacted people with copied info that was incorrect as I was personally witness to the real information --- no answer and the details are still up there......

My limited advice is add noting without first verifying every detail and if you want to copy do so on your own computer then verify it all first.

Good luck with a noble.
Essnell

Offline kjmck

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 18 November 17 19:41 GMT (UK) »
William Plymsell, who witnessed your Mary's marriage, also witnessed the marriage of Elizabeth Plymsell 1823 and Sarah Plymsell 1829.  Same signature.  All marriages in Tedbury.

Thomas Plymsell got married at Tedbury in 1823. Witness was Thomas Avery. 

So these MIGHT be the Mary b.1798; Thomas b.1800; William b.1805 and Elizabeth b. 1802 baptised Crediton with parents William and Elizabeth.

Sorry for the late reply. So the William Plymsell who witnessed these weddings could be the father of Mary, Thomas, Sarah, William & Elizabeth? And perhaps William Plymsell Sr. had learned how to write from the time of his marriage to Elizabeth Manning in 1795 to his daughter Mary's marriage in 1819.

I also found the records didn't quite match for William Plymsell Sr. who was listed as a minor on his marriage record, but I couldn't find a William Plymsell who was born later than 1774 to have been listed as a minor at this wedding. SO FRUSTRATING.

Offline kjmck

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 18 November 17 19:49 GMT (UK) »
Also - an Absolom Rolle seems to feature as a witness at each of these weddings.  ???

Offline Lily M

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 18 November 17 20:05 GMT (UK) »
I agree that it seems so plausible, even likely, that these are the same William.   That declaration of being a minor is such a frustrating stumbling block.  How likely is it that he'd got his age wrong?   He lived near the church where he was baptised, so could have checked the register if he had doubts.  Most couples seem to have bluffed their way through the under-age situation. Pity he didn't do the same.

My guess would be that Absolom was a clerk at the church.

Offline kjmck

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 18 November 17 20:22 GMT (UK) »
I know, I can't understand why he would have been put down as a minor. Elizabeth was a couple years older than William if he was born in 1774, she would have been born in 1772. I don't know what else would constitute the need for his parents' consent.

Absalom Rolle witnessed all of the weddings of William & Elizabeth's children, including that of Eliza Plymsell to James Ponsford on April 6th, 1830 but he didn't witness the marriage of Martha Plymsell to Charles Slade on 6th September 1831. I found an Absalom Rolle was buried June 5th 1830 in Tedburn St Mary.

No death's I can find in Devon point to a William Plymsell born between 1774 and 1795. Damn it.