Author Topic: Birmingham prison records  (Read 1991 times)

Offline wiccacat

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Birmingham prison records
« on: Monday 13 November 17 18:20 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know if prison records for Birmingham from the 1900's can be accessed? I know my great grandfather went to prison while in the army from his army records. I've been told he was in more than once but I can't seem to find anything.
Rollason
Elston
Daddy
Blake
Drakeley

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Birmingham prison records
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 November 17 18:58 GMT (UK) »
Finding records of prisoners can be difficult; records were not created nationally except for a short period during the nineteenth century. As a result, prison records are not held in a central location, but can be found at The National Archives, prisons and local record offices. Prison records created after 1878 are more likely to be found locally than at The National Archives. Researchers should be aware that prisoners were often moved between prisons and were also incarcerated in a prison where there were spaces, rather than in a prison near the offender's home or where the offence was committed.  It is often best to start your search in local archives.
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/prisoners-or-prison-staff/

There could be reports in local or national papers at the time.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Birmingham prison records
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 November 17 19:55 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know if prison records for Birmingham from the 1900's can be accessed?
Records for HMP Birmingham (Winson Green), 1894-1983, are held at the Library of Birmingham Archives and are subject to a 30-year closure period.

However, their information leaflet states: 'There are no surviving records of inmates in Winson Green prison'. So the existing records are probably administrative only.

http://calmview.birmingham.gov.uk/CalmView/app_themes/customer/images/bah-source-Prison%20Records.pdf