Author Topic: Tom Butterfield West Yorks.  (Read 2620 times)

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Butterfield- West Yorks
« Reply #9 on: Monday 13 November 17 23:24 GMT (UK) »
Yes thats the marriage for them Carole.

Their son was born as above in Mirfield Jan 1914 and then a daughter born in Bradford, registered Bradford Oct 1915.

We have a photo of Tom with his son when he is about 6 months old and Tom is in a West Yorks uniform in the photo. Other photos have same cap badge, but some photos also have him in a different cap badge

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 13 November 17 23:34 GMT (UK) »
Over 60% of WW1 service records were burnt during the WW2 blitz.  There is no match for him on the surviving records
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 13 November 17 23:38 GMT (UK) »
The Medal Roll Index has 5 entries for a Tom Butterfield but none show the regiments you mention

Royal Garrison Artillery
King's Own Royal Lancaster Regiment
The Royal Welsh (Welch) Fusiliers
Army Service Corps, Labour Corps
Army Ordnance Corps

I know, he is hard to find
We have photos, even a photo of him with his company (West Yorks reg) and also a tiny photo taken in France/Flanders with his platoon (different cap badge) and a message to his wife written on the back. We have his WW1 brass chocolate box and brass ciggy box as well, but can't find the records.
In the other topic, Ady posted a 'Bradford Roll of Honour' with two Toms listed. Looking at the addresses I think the The Royal Welsh (Welch) Fusiliers one is the more likely but can't be sure. In 1911 he is living with his uncle, but that was before his marriage.

Added - Yes some records were destroyed in the blitz sadly.

Offline mirl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I come from a land downunder, or do I?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 14 November 17 04:49 GMT (UK) »
You said that some-one had seen his medals.  Are the medals still available?  If so, is there a number still on the rim?
Richardson, Sherman, Gillam, Hitchcock, Neighbour, Groom, Walton, Strange, Littleford, Brown, Guy, Abbs, Tasker, Bartlett, Farey, Etteridge

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Tom Butterfield West Yorks.
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 14 November 17 11:13 GMT (UK) »
While the medal card seems to have gone walk about, there is a Sgt Thomas Butterfield in 1/6th West Yorks (I know he was known as Tom but...) on the medal rolls.  Served from April 1915 until Jun 19. No further details and no other regiment overseas though (doesn't mean he couldn't have served in UK in another, it just won't get on the medal roll)

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 14 November 17 11:27 GMT (UK) »
You said that some-one had seen his medals.  Are the medals still available?  If so, is there a number still on the rim?

Unfortunately no. The medals are lost somewhere in time.
Tom came from quite a poor working class background and did not have much schooling. He worked in the mills and was also an amateur boxer, he was also in the boys brigade as a youth.
We understand he was deeply affected by what he experienced and saw during the war and after the war he became very left wing and a staunch trade unionist. Due to his post war politics, he might have not cared for the medals much? 
He was self taught and became a loom engineer/mechanic. He moved to London just before the second world war to help set up some machinery in a mill down there. He is on the 1939 census in the east end of London.

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 14 November 17 11:37 GMT (UK) »
While the medal card seems to have gone walk about, there is a Sgt Thomas Butterfield in 1/6th West Yorks (I know he was known as Tom but...) on the medal rolls.  Served from April 1915 until Jun 19. No further details and no other regiment overseas though (doesn't mean he couldn't have served in UK in another, it just won't get on the medal roll)

MaxD

It is possible he became a sergeant, but I don't honestly know and do not remember it being mentioned.

This is a topic from years ago, it shows two of the photos I mentioned
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=519605.0
The first is Tom with his company (West Yorkshire Regiment) I think this is about 1915, because he looks younger
The second photo is the one we believe was taken in France/Flanders? and has a message on the back to his wife, it is a different cap badge to the other photo

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 14 November 17 12:07 GMT (UK) »
I see someone seized on the 1/6th Thomas in the old thread.

I would add only that the photograph of the men on parade looks very much as if it was taken in England rather than France/Flanders although if the writing on the back says it is France then I will stand corrected.  The badge, and the man in the first file second rank looks very much like the Grenadier Guards and certainly nothing like any of the regiments mentioned so far.  (A regiment served in in UK and not overseas will not show up on a medal card).

MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline sallyyorks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 14 November 17 12:28 GMT (UK) »
I see someone seized on the 1/6th Thomas in the old thread.

I would add only that the photograph of the men on parade looks very much as if it was taken in England rather than France/Flanders although if the writing on the back says it is France then I will stand corrected.  The badge, and the man in the first file second rank looks very much like the Grenadier Guards and certainly nothing like any of the regiments mentioned so far.  (A regiment served in in UK and not overseas will not show up on a medal card).

MaxD

I know, its a mystery.
When was the brass chocolate box given to troops?