Author Topic: Upton - Southwell mill  (Read 2328 times)

Offline alderwiser

• RootsChat Extra
  • On the never ending journey
    • View Profile
Upton - Southwell mill
« on: Tuesday 14 November 17 04:33 GMT (UK) »
My wifes family were mentioned in a will dated 1864 - they were left a watermill and land at Upton and Southwell and I wonder if anyone knows of pictures or the history of the mill that I can access from here in Australia

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Upton - Southwell mill
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 November 17 05:37 GMT (UK) »

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 14 November 17 08:33 GMT (UK) »

Online larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline Janeada

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 15 September 18 16:51 BST (UK) »
Hello,

The mill in the picture (in the post above) is at Southwell about 2 miles from Upton. It belonged to the Caudwell family from 1851 until it ceased operation in the mid-twentieth century.  It is now converted into flats and apartments.

The river Greet which flows from just to the north west of the village of Kirklington (Nottinghamshire) down to join the River Trent at Fiskerton was the motive power for several mills. The first mill on the river was at Kirklington, then Caudwell's Mill at  Southwell, after that a mill at Upton and one at Rolleston with the final mill being at Fiskerton within sight of the Trent. The mill at Upton was on the southern edge of the village.  Off the top of my head I can't tell you much about the Mill at Upton but I can probably find more information locally.

Regards,

Janeada
Counties/Names: Wigtownshire, SCT./HANNAH Cumberland/CLARKE, Westmorland/FISHER, North Lancashire/CLARKE & CHARNOCK Lincolnshire/ STORER, DICKINSON, EDLIN, FAIRCHILD & GREEN, Nottinghamshire/ COOK, COLLINGWORTH,  Gloucestershire/DOWSWELL, Isle of Man/CLARKE

Offline Janeada

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 15 September 18 17:25 BST (UK) »
Hello again,

If the link works you might find this web site interesting. 
http://members.bex.net/jtcullen515/Upton.htm

Janeada
Counties/Names: Wigtownshire, SCT./HANNAH Cumberland/CLARKE, Westmorland/FISHER, North Lancashire/CLARKE & CHARNOCK Lincolnshire/ STORER, DICKINSON, EDLIN, FAIRCHILD & GREEN, Nottinghamshire/ COOK, COLLINGWORTH,  Gloucestershire/DOWSWELL, Isle of Man/CLARKE

Offline Janeada

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 15 September 18 19:59 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I've managed to find a photo of the Upton Mill roundhouse on line. It is on the Geograph web site at https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/473855 I'm afraid the roundhouse is all that is left of the mill.  I will do a bit of digging in the local library to see if any local historians have published anything about Upton village and its mill. Local directories might also reveal something of its history.  All the on-line sources seem to quote the entry from the 1853 Directory for Nottinghamshire but I feel sure it must have been mentioned in other editions/years.

Regards,

Janeada