Author Topic: Gavin Black of Craignook  (Read 3818 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Gavin Black of Craignook
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 15 November 17 12:52 GMT (UK) »
thank you Forfarian, I had found a book on google books written about the martyrs and it mentioned Gavin Black of Craigneuk
Yes. It actually says Gavin Black in Craigneuk not Gavin Black of Craigneuk.

I know it is a tiny difference but it is probably significant because 'of' usually implies that the person actually owned the land.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 15 November 17 13:58 GMT (UK) »
Julia Christina Rankin 1870–1903
Birth 25 JUN 1870 • Nimmitabel, NSW
I see that her birth was registered in Cooma. Her father's name in the NSW birth record is indexed as August, but an Angus Rankin married Mary MacDonald in Cooma in 1865.

Angus isn't a name that occurs among the Rankins in New Monkland, and there are no records of baptisms of Angus Rankins in Lanarkshire who could possibly be the one who married Mary MacDonald and was (presumably) the father of Julia Christina Rankin.

There are too many deaths of Angus Rankins in the NSW index to be sure who might be Julia's father, though there is one in 1918 in Cooma who looks possible.

Sure enough, the Bombala Times of 5 November 1918 has a brief obituary: Mr Angus Rankin, formerly an old and respected resident of Nimmitabel, passed away at Moonbah recently, aged 73. He leaves a widow (formerly Miss McDonald) and eight daughters and three sons.

So if his age is accurate, he was born in 1844/1845, and from his death certificate his parents were Angus and Janet. There's no matching person in the Scottish baptisms or in the 1851 census. The closest is a one-year-old in 1851 who doesn't seem to be there in 1861, but his parents are not Angus and Janet.

So I don't think Julia is likely to be a descendant of the Rankins who lived in New Monkland.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline debsydebs

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 16 November 17 00:24 GMT (UK) »
Thank you again for all of your help Forfarian  :)
I can at least fill in some gaps on my tree on Ancestry - I started it along with doing my husbands side as well about 7 years ago and made lots of mistakes because I had no clue what I was doing then had a break for about a year or so and have started up again but with more caution this time and joining some facebook groups about DNA (my husband and I had ours done) and genealogy and getting information on how to search for things not just taking other peoples trees as correct, it's a time consuming but enjoyable hobby for me and even though I have a few books that various sides have done I want to add some of my own findings - my bucket list trip is to travel to Scotland/Ireland/England and feel the connection of my ancestors-I'm sure you get what I mean  :)
kind regards,
Deb

Offline Anchor425

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 28 March 19 05:58 GMT (UK) »
Hello Deb
I am researching a relative, Francis Bernard ("Frank") Farrell, born 22 Sep 1927 who married a Millicent Muriel ("Millie") Wallace (nee Black) who may be in your Black family.  Millie (1914-1996) was born and buried in Kyogle, NSW and I think she was a daughter of Thomas Collins Black (1866-1944) and Ann J. Wilson (1886-).  The index of the NSW BDM has
birth - BLACK  MILLICENT M 21462/1914 THOMAS C ANN J KYOGLE; and
marriage - 28866/1965 FARRELL FRANCIS BERNARD WALLACE MILLICENT MURIEL
KYOGLE (Millie had a previous marriage in Kyogle to Essington Wallace in 1933).
Are you able to confirm the connection to your family.
Kind regards, Kevin

Offline debsydebs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 25 April 19 13:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Kevin,
I've only just seen your message on here, I'm sorry for such a delay.
Yes Thomas Collins Black and Ann Wilson were my great grandparents,
My email is debasselman16@gmail.com if I can help, if you are on ancestry.com.au I have a tree (work in progress) Hanlen/Black/Asselman
Regards, Deb