Author Topic: Gavin Black of Craignook  (Read 3782 times)

Offline debsydebs

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gavin Black of Craignook
« on: Tuesday 14 November 17 10:04 GMT (UK) »
I am doing a search about Gavin Black (my 3 x GG) and a sasine from 1777 and whether a Gavin Black of Rawyards depicted in a painting on curling is also the Gavin I am looking for, I would appreciate any information to help me with finding some of my family history from Scotland
kind regards,
Deb

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: Gavin Black of Craignook
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 November 17 11:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Deb , welcome to RC  :)

Scotlandspeople has a Trust Disposition and Settlement Codicil for a Gavin Black(brother of Alexander Black) of Rawyards near Airdrie , dated 4th of June 1872.
There is also a death for a Gavin Black , age 70 , 1871 New Monkland Lanark.

Could that be a son of your Gavin ?
Gavin Black baptised 25th Jan. 1801 New Monkland Lanark , parents Gavin Black and Agnes Watt.

ev

Added -
It looks like the Gavin Black(age 50) of Rawyards is unmarried on the 1851 Census(FreeCEN).
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 14 November 17 11:19 GMT (UK) »
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline debsydebs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 14 November 17 11:57 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your help, from what I have found myself some of that doesn't sound like him, my Gavin Black 1782-1825 of Craignook was married to Elizabeth Anne Collins and had my 2 x GG William Black (1815-1867) who married Agnes Marshall in Scotland then came to Australia when she died

Offline debsydebs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 14 November 17 12:30 GMT (UK) »
This is part of the sasine I have found and also why I am confused about the Gavin Blacks

Sasine 12th September 1777 ..... William Black now of Craignook second lawfull son of ye deceased Gavin Black of Craignook for himself and as .... and attorney for Bethia Cullen relict of ye deceast Gavin Black of Craignook .... Bethea Black and Isobell Black his daughters .... John Black his eldest lawfull son .... Gavin Black of Rawyeards Baillie in that part.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 14 November 17 12:35 GMT (UK) »
GAVIN Black married Bethiah CULLAN 24 April 1734, Barony, Lanark, Scotland

So looks to me that;
Bethia Cullen relict of ye deceast refers to his Wife
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 14 November 17 12:41 GMT (UK) »
F/S has these children;
JOHN 9 May 1737, Gavin Black/Bethia Cullen
GAVIN 21 March 1739, Father Gavin
WILLIAM 8 Nov 1748, Gavin Black/Bethia Killen

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 14 November 17 12:47 GMT (UK) »
No my usual area of expertise so I will butt out now and hope I have been a help and not a hindrance!

Welcome to Rootschat and I hope someone else can help you more.

Trish :)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 14 November 17 13:25 GMT (UK) »
I am doing a search about Gavin Black (my 3 x GG) and a sasine from 1777 and whether a Gavin Black of Rawyards depicted in a painting on curling is also the Gavin I am looking for, I would appreciate any information to help me with finding some of my family history from Scotland
I don't think it can be the same person, but he is definitely related.

The date of that painting is not precisely known, but it has to be around the middle of the 19th century (1850s/1860s). The Gavin Black in the painting is almost certainly the one born in 1800 or 1802 and died in 1871.

The one to whom the 1777 sasine relates is almost certainly the grandfather of the one in the painting. He was born in 1732 at Rawyards and (according to the sasines) died between 1803 and 1806.

What I don't know is how, or even whether, Gavin Black of Craignook relates to the four Gavin Blacks of Rawyards who succeeded one another, father to son, in Rawyards from about the 1740s until 1871. The first Gavin Black of Rawyards was born in 1704 and married Mary Wotherspoon in 1727 and they had nine children between then and 1749. The first Gavin Black of Craigneuk married Bethia Cullen in 1734. The Registers of Sasines mention four children of Gavin Black of Craigneuk: John, William, Bethia and Isobel, but I do not have reliable dates of birth for these children. However the Craigneuk family must have been roughly contemporary with the Rawyards family, so Gavin B of Craigneuk can't be the same person as Gavin B of Rawyards.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.