Author Topic: Patrick McLoughlin & Mary Anne McCann married Sept 1851 Melbourne Victoria  (Read 2278 times)

Offline John McElroy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Patrick McLoughlin & Mary Anne McCann married Sept 1851 Melbourne Victoria
« Reply #18 on: Friday 17 November 17 11:47 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Majam, I note you always have some good stuff.
A Stone Mason today is a recognised skilled trade but back then I noticed it was often lumped in with Labourers --but I take your fair point.
I've searched those Colonial Index name searches for Assisted & Unassisted & just can't seem to get a match ??---hence my frustration.
You have given me a lesson, I thought Assisted meant Govt Paid ticket of which you were expected to bring a trade skill. (Bounty system)
Unassisted where you paid or a family member sponsored you out skilled or unskilled.

I noted a lot convicts were still being sent to VDL at that time & headed straight to Port Phillip when they had completed their sentence...many of those of course were unskilled labourers.
So although Vict. didn't get any directly they got their fair share of Ex Cons.

Without his ship entry we won't know what his trade was, any more suggestions ?

Offline John McElroy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 20 November 17 03:36 GMT (UK) »
Could he have been a "Exile" ?
Is there anywhere I can find the complete ships lists for those 9 ships that transported the Exiles to Port Phillip ?

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 20 November 17 04:03 GMT (UK) »
Patrick O’LOUGHLIN, tried at Clare 4 July 1848, sentenced to 7 years, arrived per Havering 1849.  Ticket of Leave 49/929, to remain in the Yass district.  AND NOTICE the next ToL was 49/930 issued to John O’LOUGHLIN who had also been tried at Clare on the same day (4 July  1848) and sentenced to 7 years and also arrived on that same vessel  and also to remain in the Yass district. 

And another candidate :
Patrick O’LOUGHLIN, aged 18, farm labourer, of Carron in Clare,  parents as Michael and Mary, both dead,  Roman Catholic, can neither read nor write, no relatives in the colonies, arrived 2nd September 1849 per the vessel Victoria as an Assisted Immigrant.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline John McElroy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 20 November 17 04:34 GMT (UK) »
Thanks MJM..
In 1849 he should be about 24 ...
Yass NSW ? He was  getting married in Melbourne by 1851.
I think wrong Fella's...

I think I need check those lists from the 9 Ships between 1842-1849--Port Phillip
Royal George 1842
Sir George Seymour 1845
Stratheden 1846
Maitland 1846
Thomas Arbuthnot 1847
Joseph Somes 1847
Marion 1848
Anna Maria 1848
Eden 1849

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 20 November 17 04:46 GMT (UK) »
The live index link I provided earlier will have some those voyages.  You don't need to fill in all the options... so perhaps just enter Patrick and the name of the ship ....

JM

Offline John McElroy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 20 November 17 07:17 GMT (UK) »
Yes MJM--searched that link, got a zero....
Actually I have noted that the name Patrick takes quite a while to be passed down to his sons..We have  John, Peter, Michael, James then finally a Patrick- later a Myles turns up clearly a reference to Myles McCann...

Is Patrick an Alias ?

Offline John McElroy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 22 November 17 07:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Helpers,
I have found a James aged 18, Patrick 22 & Michael 42 (a stonemason) & wife Mary & their 3 children all from Roscommon IRE immigrating per Adam Lodge arriving FEB 1840 to NSW.  As a group they all worked together on arrival at "Merton"  for the Ogilvie family.
I also note neither James or Patrick (of the various McLaughlin spellings) seemed to get married in NSW (up to 1855 anyway). But a James in 1855 & of course Patrick married in Vict ?

What do you think a chance ??

Offline John McElroy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 26 November 17 10:24 GMT (UK) »
Okay just for other researches....I have found the Family and happy to share.

The McLaughlin family from Roscommon IRE, immigrated to NSW per vessel Adam Lodge in Feb 1840. Records show Michael McLaughlin aged 42, a stonemason, his wife Mary (nee Redican), farm servant, Henry age 11, Michael 9, Mary 12 also the older McLaughlin sons Patrick aged 22 & James aged 18. (For reasons of securing their passage Michael made himself younger; likely born 1788)
The older boys from his first marriage with Janitha Forrest of East Carricknahorna, Aghanagh Co. both registered as “Butlers” & employed by William Ogilvie at “Merton” (todays town of Denman in the upper Hunter Valley ) on arrival.
In time the McLaughlinʼs had made their way south to Port Phillip, Victoria.
Michael McLaughlin a stonemason died 8th May 1855 in Napier St Collingwood Victoria.
Patrick inherited the property.

Patrick McLaughlin of Heidelberg st Collingwood, Melbourne, married in St Francis Catholic Church Melbourne 4/9/1851 to Mary Anne McCann, a Catholic b.1832 from Enniskillen-Fermanagh- Ireland. However with the onset of the Gold Rush the married Patrick & Mary Anne soon set off for the Kangaroo Gully Gold Fields in Sandhurst (now Bendigo).
Mary Anne McCann or Marianne arrived in Port Phillip as an assisted immigrant aged 17,(daughter of Miles McCann - mother unknown) on the 10/1/1850 aboard vessel “DIADEM” arriving after 87 days at sea from Plymouth. She was one of 234 “Famine” orphan girls sent to the colony per the vessel DAIDEM as female domestic help and future wives to the men of a growing Colony. She one of five sisters who were all sent to the colony. Originally she was from the work house in Enniskillen-Fermanagh and had been living with her aunt for the previous eight months.
On arrival she was employed and registered as an illiterate house servant. She earned 8 pounds per annum working for a Patrick Murphy of little Lonesdale St Melbourne for 6 months before marrying. At Hyde park barracks in Sydney there is a Memorial to the Famine Orphans sent to Australia in that period--her name is on it.
They had 10 children... 2nd eldest was Michael McLoughlin b.1854-d.1942 (my Fathers Great GF)
Mary Anne died in Port Melbourne 1/3/1887 of pneumonia and exhaustion.
Patrick born 1817, died 19/2/1879 --Kangaroo Flats- Bendigo Creek Victoria.