Author Topic: Patrick McLoughlin & Mary Anne McCann married Sept 1851 Melbourne Victoria  (Read 2285 times)

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Patrick McLoughlin & Mary Anne McCann married Sept 1851 Melbourne Victoria
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 16 November 17 07:41 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Sparrett---I'll go with your information on the BD&M Vict...thank you.

Informant is really hard to read...looks like Robert Farman Faiend ?  of Kangaroo Flat
And 10 children listed...

Yes Cando---found it thank you.

Trying to work out how he got here...unskilled labourer - surely not an assisted Immigrant ?

Why do you think he would not be an assisted immigrant?  Would he or his family have been in a financial position to pay his full fare to Australia?  If he paid his own fare and arrived c1849 as an unassisted immigrant then you won't find his arrival in Victoria.  Unassisted passengers are only recorded at PROV from 1852.

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline John McElroy

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 16 November 17 07:47 GMT (UK) »
Yeah Cando, ...?? his Father a stone mason (meaning another Labourer) in 1849 most of IRE is starving...could- would - should they have paid Patricks fare at age 24 ?...as you can tell I'm not really convinced just yet.
As far as "Assisted Immigrant" goes, I was under the impression that was for skilled tradesman & young girls, to build a colony.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 16 November 17 07:49 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Sparrett---I'll go with your information on the BD&M Vict...thank you.

Informant is really hard to read...looks like Robert Farman Faiend ?  of Kangaroo Flat
And 10 children listed...

Yes Cando---found it thank you.

Trying to work out how he got here...unskilled labourer - surely not an assisted Immigrant ?

Is perhaps the last word there FRIEND.
This would be attributed to the relationship of informant to deceased.

So the question arises-
Would this friend really know when Patrick came?
OR
Would the person informing the friend really know?
Depends who  was informing the informant :P

Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline John McElroy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 16 November 17 07:56 GMT (UK) »
Yes Sue, I thought it may be Friend but thought I may sound stupid saying that :)
But Checking across the Doc ... yes Robert Farman  "Friend"---(please forgive my learners permit on)

Well where does that leave me ?---- a ship jumper, ex-convict , unassisted or assisted ???

At 24 he did have enough time to do a 7 year stint in VDL ?---& not want anybody to know.
(His fellow Father in Law did that--see previous posts)

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 16 November 17 08:00 GMT (UK) »
Yes not yeah ::)    I'm a bit confused with your reasoning. You don't appear to understand the difference between assisted and unassisted immigrationt to Victoria.     I would suggest that an unskilled labourer from Ireland, England or Scotland would more than likely have been an assisted immigrant which by definition was having all or part of the passage paid for by an outside agent, a private individual, usually a family member, the government, or a combination of three.  I'm sure you can find further information about it on the net.  It is possible his name has been recorded incorrectly so you will have to search for spelling variations.

Cheers
Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline John McElroy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 16 November 17 08:11 GMT (UK) »
Corrected Cando,  ;)
I had other family members who were assisted under the "Bounty System" where the govt paid for skilled labour & their families to immigrate...I would have thought through the penal system there was enough unskilled Irish already in the colony ?---hence my questioning.
And I note he headed for the Gold Fields pretty quick--no crime in that & a popular move, but certainly not paying anybody back through any form of indenture.

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 16 November 17 10:24 GMT (UK) »

And I note he headed for the Gold Fields pretty quick--no crime in that & a popular move, but certainly not paying anybody back through any form of indenture.

What record or sighting do you have to support his date of arrival on the goldfields?

If you do not know when he arrived, how do you know the elapsed time between entry to Australia and arrival on the goldfields?

Sue

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline John McElroy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 16 November 17 11:18 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Sue,
Patrick married 4/9/1851 Mary Anne McCann, Catholic b. 1832 Enniskillen- Fermanagh- Ireland.
Mary Anne or Marianne arrived in Port Phillip as an assisted immigrant aged 17, (daughter of Miles McCann - mother unknown) on the 10/1/1850 aboard vessel “DIADEM” .
She was one  of 234 “Famine” orphan girls sent to the colony on the DAIDEM.
She one of five sisters who were all sent to the colony. So she is sorta well documented.
After 6 months --"marrying Patrick McLoughlin a gold miner of Kangaroo Gully."-( quote from Daidem Famine research available online)

So I now know he arrived in about 1849 (says his death certificate)---& living in the Gold Fields by Aug 1851, the very earliest period of the Rush.
I noted all those Births registrations you found were in various Gold Mining areas--so he was a chaser of Gold.
I know your right he has more than 12 months in Victoria b4 getting married & I don't know where, so he may have been paying off his Immigration Ticket somewhere ?---trying not to make a fantasy but it has to sit as "likely" as well. And I'm just a little uncomfortable with a single Irish Labourer in 1849 getting here assisted or unassisted --unless he claimed to have trade skills ??
How he got here is the key ...?

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 16 November 17 22:54 GMT (UK) »
..... And I'm just a little uncomfortable with a single Irish Labourer in 1849 getting here assisted or unassisted --unless he claimed to have trade skills ??
How he got here is the key ...?

Hi there,

I am not at all surprised that a single Irish labourer came to New South Wales in the years immediately prior to the separation of Victoria from NSW and therefore prior to the Gold Rushes.   Afterall, Convictism had effectively ceased by 1840 to NSW and Britain had established Colonial Land and Emigration Commissioners, which effectively found the unskilled workforce needed to populate NSW.  Here's a couple of live links :   
https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/agency/3050
https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/agency/3051   

I also doubt that a stone mason would be thought of as an unskilled labourer. 

ADD
https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/archives/collections-and-research/guides-and-indexes/immigration-shipping-guide    ... notice the 'Tips' re unassisted passengers ... steerage passengers ...

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.