Author Topic: Thomas Stevenson Bakewell? Nottingham? 1600s  (Read 677 times)

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Stevenson Bakewell? Nottingham? 1600s
« on: Tuesday 14 November 17 14:08 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for any records for this man.
Here is what I know
His father was Francis Stevenson of Rowley (worked for the Manners family Haddon Hall) who was born abt 1542, died 1634 (buried at Bakewell) Thomas was left land and property in Nottingham in his fathers will, no mention of a wife in 1634. He had an older brother John, who wrote his will in 1650 and left money to Thomas' two daughters, his sister Stevenson of Nottingham and his main legacy to Thomas's son John. I can find a possible marriage for Thomas but no baptisms for any children.
Any input gratefully received :)
Newson, Steavenson, Walker, Taylor, Dobson, Gardner, Clark, Wilson, Smith, Crossland, Goldfinch, Burnett, Hebdon, Peers, Strother, Askew, Bower, Beckwith, Patton, White, Turner, Nelson, Gilpin, Tomlinson, Thompson, Spedding, Wilkes, Carr, Butterfield, Ormandy, Wilkinson, Cocking, Glover, Pennington, Bowker, Kitching, Langhorn, Haworth, Kirkham.

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Stevenson Bakewell? Nottingham? 1600s
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 November 17 21:00 GMT (UK) »
left money to Thomas' two daughters )
Their names would help with any search.

Was the property left 'in Nottingham' in the town? or is there some some smaller place mentioned?
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 November 17 12:53 GMT (UK) »
left money to Thomas' two daughters )
Their names would help with any search.
Unfortunately no names are mentioned in the will!

Was the property left 'in Nottingham' in the town? or is there some some smaller place mentioned?
The will states housing and land in the town and county of Nottingham
I know there's very little to go on here but thought it worth a shot. I have searched FS, FindMyPast, & Anc with no results that seem possibles. I may have reached the stage with this family where I'm 'not seeing the wood for the trees' :)
Newson, Steavenson, Walker, Taylor, Dobson, Gardner, Clark, Wilson, Smith, Crossland, Goldfinch, Burnett, Hebdon, Peers, Strother, Askew, Bower, Beckwith, Patton, White, Turner, Nelson, Gilpin, Tomlinson, Thompson, Spedding, Wilkes, Carr, Butterfield, Ormandy, Wilkinson, Cocking, Glover, Pennington, Bowker, Kitching, Langhorn, Haworth, Kirkham.

Offline sunflower

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 15 November 17 13:02 GMT (UK) »
You mentioned a possible marriage.  Who, When & Where ?

Carol
Derby- Bamford,Slater,Marriott,Lee,Fox,Hopkinson,Hawksley, Furniss, Froggatt, Stodd.
Notts - Breeding, Lacey Marriott ,Kershaw,Chambers,Geeson,Mitchell,Watts,Potts,Slack,Robinson, Cooper
Yorkshire - Potts, Bell, Derbyshire, Kershaw
Worcestershire - Dyson, Summers, Dearn, Jones
Warwickshire - Russon
Leicestershire - Stodd, Sarson, Berridge, Watts, Bradshaw.
Middlesex / Surrey - Markham, Pearce, Kalaher, Barrett

This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cristeen

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 15 November 17 15:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sunflower, thanks for your interest
I found Thomas Stevenson marrying Elizabetha Buxton 2 Apr 1632 Bakewell (Family Search) but no clear evidence this is the correct Thomas, just the right area and timeframe :( Very little to go on I'm afraid. The most important link for me is a baptism for Thomas' son John, who was probably born between 1634 (not mentioned in his grandfathers will though another grandchild is mentioned) and 1650 (mentioned in his uncle's will) John is my link in terms of the land & property this family owned.