Author Topic: When and where did Thomas McCluskey die?  (Read 714 times)

Offline JAKnighton

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
When and where did Thomas McCluskey die?
« on: Tuesday 14 November 17 15:08 GMT (UK) »
My great-grand uncle Thomas McCluskey was born on September 29, 1901 in Shettleston. His parents were Thomas McCluskey and Elizabeth Russell Knaggs. He appears with his family in the 1911 census living at 21 Burnside Row, Cambusnethan.

I've done a search on ScotlandsPeople for Thomas McCluskey's born between 1899-1902 who have died before 2001 and only four results come up, two of which I ordered and they weren't correct and two which give information that don't match.

When speaking to my grandfather about this, he recalled that his mother, my great-grandmother and Thomas' brother said that Thomas died in an accident while working on a ship.

This is all the detail I have. If the ship was at sea, how would a death at sea be recorded and where would the records be found? There is also the possibility of this happening during one of the wars.

Also, it could be the case that the story didn't actually happen to Thomas at all...
Knighton in Huntingdonshire and Northamptonshire
Tweedie in Lanarkshire and Co. Down
Rodgers in Durham and Co. Monaghan
McMillan in Lanarkshire and Argyllshire

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: When and where did Thomas McCluskey die?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 November 17 15:14 GMT (UK) »
findmypast has a register of deaths at sea - have you checked for his name there?  free to search.
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 14 November 17 15:20 GMT (UK) »
A few come up but maybe too young if he was born 1901?  Was he a boy or a man do you know when he worked on a ship (allegedly)

Thos McCluskey death year 1916

T McCluskey 1955 vessel name Laurentia

Thomas McClusky 1915 vessel name Jason

Thos McClusky 1915

No birth years for any of them but someone with full access may be able to give more details if you are interested in any of them.
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline JAKnighton

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 14 November 17 16:07 GMT (UK) »
A few come up but maybe too young if he was born 1901?  Was he a boy or a man do you know when he worked on a ship (allegedly)

Thos McCluskey death year 1916

T McCluskey 1955 vessel name Laurentia

Thomas McClusky 1915 vessel name Jason

Thos McClusky 1915

No birth years for any of them but someone with full access may be able to give more details if you are interested in any of them.

I don't know how old he was, although my great-grandmother who told the story to my grandfather was herself born in 1916 so that might be a clue into when he died.

Those search results are helpful, and the one in 1955 is interesting as a search for the ship "Laurentia" indicates that it was a ship that travelled between Glasgow and South America. So he could well have worked on that ship.
Knighton in Huntingdonshire and Northamptonshire
Tweedie in Lanarkshire and Co. Down
Rodgers in Durham and Co. Monaghan
McMillan in Lanarkshire and Argyllshire