Author Topic: Nancy Fish Barnum  (Read 4862 times)

Offline jaynef

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Nancy Fish Barnum
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 14 November 17 23:09 GMT (UK) »
Have found them now ...thank you  :)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 15 November 17 04:10 GMT (UK) »
...as I was also told that sarah father owned cotton Mills....

Is this the right Sarah Walsh on 1881 census?
Kenyon St., Ramsbottom
Sarah aged 1, born in Ramsbottom. She was with parents, William, 27, b. Ramsbottom & Elizabeth, 43 b. Manchester + brother, Christopher, 2 POB Nuttall (now part of Ramsbottom). William was a cotton weaver. 5 Chadwick step-children were in the household. 2 were born in Bury and the younger 3 in Doncaster. Some of the step-children were also cotton weavers. There were mills on Kenyon Street and practically everyone living on the street at the time of the census worked in a cotton mill. There is no indication on the census that William was an employer. Judging from the 1881 census, they seemed to have been an ordinary mill-worker's family. I could not see the family on a later census. The surname could be Walch and Welsh on various records.

1861 census. 6 year-old William Walsh was with his parents, Thomas & Nancy + brother, Christopher (10) in Nuttall village. This again, at the time, was a site of mills. Thomas was a calico block printer.

1871 census. William, 16, with mother, Nancy + brother, Christopher in Union St., Ramsbottom. No Thomas. All were cotton weavers. Union St. is a small back street near the railway station, a stone's throw from Kenyon St. across the river.

Christopher's and William's births were registered in 1851 & 1854 at Holcombe, mother's maiden name Spencer.
Likely marriage of their parents was at St. Mary Virgin, Bury 1st Jan 1850.
Thomas Walsh, printer of Ramsbottom to Nancy Spencer, a minor of Nuttall Lane. Both made their mark. Father of Thomas was Lot Walsh, printer. Nancy's father was Thomas Spencer, weaver. A witness had the unusual name of Ottiwell Cronkshaw. (The surname is locally common)

Likely baptism of Thomas:
1827 Emmanuel, Holcombe. Thomas Walch, son of Lot & Sally. Abode Ramsbottom. Occupation calico printer.
Lot and Sally had another 9 children baptised at Holcombe 1815-1830.  The last one was baptised, aged 3 weeks on the same day her father Lot was buried, aged 47.  :(

Marriage of Lot Walch to Sally Kay, 1815, St. Mary Virgin, Bury.
Lot's baptism may have been at St. James, Darwen 1785, parents John & Nancy. Abode Over Darwen.

A possible mill-owning connection to consider is the family of Nancy Spencer, Thomas Walsh's mother. A partnership which owned several mills in the area was Porritt & Spencer. I have no knowledge as to whether Nancy Spencer and her father, Thomas were related to that Spencer.
Cowban

Offline jaynef

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 15 November 17 10:19 GMT (UK) »
Thats great information Thank you...As I mentioned before I have yet to find out more of the family from my mother in law....I was led to think that the Sarah we have was Nancy sister, but looking into it a little more am thinking maybe they were cousins...Sarahs maiden name was Walsh..and she married an Emmanuel Sandiford....Martha Fish was Shaw,, and Sarahs mother I think was called Shaw before she married...Marthas Father John Fish was a mill owner.....The family did originate from Blackburn area...I will need to look back properly on the family to find the connections....
Thank you... ;)

Offline jaynef

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 15 November 17 10:50 GMT (UK) »
I think that is most definately the Sarah I am looking for...she was born in Ramsbottom....I do need to confirm that is her parents name..although I think it is correct..

Thank you  ;)

Offline jaynef

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 18 November 17 09:38 GMT (UK) »
Thank you to you that helped with Nancy and Sarah...I have now found that Nancy Fish Barnum and Sarah Walsh were cousins..there mothers were sisters..

;D