Author Topic: Looking for biological mother  (Read 1955 times)

Offline taliandromeda

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for biological mother
« on: Wednesday 15 November 17 05:16 GMT (UK) »
All I have is that her name was Fiona and possibly her last name was Lopes or Lopez, committed suicide by pill overdose (not so sure) on around the year 1972, maybe a couple of years before. Was around 14-15 years of age when she died. Do not know what state of the US this happened.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for biological mother
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 November 17 05:24 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat.

I'm not sure I'm picking this up correctly but...

Is this your own mother?

If so, do you have your birth cert?

Do you have any other details as to which state you were born for a place to start?

I can't personally help as I have no experience with US states but my questions will help others who do have experience to help you.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline taliandromeda

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 November 17 05:29 GMT (UK) »
My birth certificate says I was born in Chicago, Illinois.

Offline taliandromeda

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 15 November 17 05:31 GMT (UK) »
The name of my mother in that birth certificate is not my biological mother.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 15 November 17 05:43 GMT (UK) »
Ok, thanks!

Have you looked into how you can obtain your original birth cert. & any other info. regarding the circumstances of a different parent on your BC?

Can I assume you're an adoptee?

There should be records available to you although I don't know the procedure in the US & of course with different laws for different states.

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline taliandromeda

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 15 November 17 05:48 GMT (UK) »
Well I am currently living in Mexico, and as far as I know that birth certificate is the original one because way back then it seems they could fake info much easier than today. I actually found out my actual mother is not my biological mother a month ago so I really don't even know where to start. I tried online deceased certificates but no luck with the results, I guess I have little information.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 15 November 17 06:01 GMT (UK) »
www.newillinoisadoptionlaw.com/adopteesbornafter1946.htm

It may be worthwhile checking as it will do no harm.

You could let them know you have doubts as to whether your BC is the original or not?

A letter posted rather than an email with your enquiry/reason for believing you may have been adopted would be best (I think)?

I don't want to be asking personal questions but there must be a reason for thinking the name on your BC is not actually who it says?

If the woman who you believe to be your mother (different from on your BC), would it not be a reasonable assumption (if it is true), she would have died in the town you were born, presumably close to your birth date (if you didn't know her)?

It's difficult to work out anything which may be possible.

Do you know how long after your birth you ended up elsewhere/with someone else other than the woman you 'believe' to be your mother?

Annie

Offline taliandromeda

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 15 November 17 06:22 GMT (UK) »
My dad was the one to tell me this info, I actually had to "break his arm" to get it out of him. Btw he is my real dad. He told me that in those years many people were able to fake a lot of info, he told me this in a conversation held years ago with me. I myself doubt he is originally from Indiana because he has been coming in and out of Mexico, so maybe a wild guess he might even be an immigrant but managed to "fix" his papers "legally" years before I was even born. As you can see I am in a bit of a spot here because he will absolutely not tell me anything else. It is really all up to me to obtain all the info I can on myself.

Offline taliandromeda

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 15 November 17 06:26 GMT (UK) »
I wound up with my actual mother probably a few months after my real mom passed away. As I can deduct by family member memories that say I was suddenly sent to Mexico 2-3 months after I was presumably born and stayed a whole year here then sent back.