Author Topic: Looking for biological mother  (Read 1954 times)

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for biological mother
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 15 November 17 20:43 GMT (UK) »
There are lots of different databases on familysearch.org.  For example, I did a random search here - https://www.familysearch.org/search/record/results?count=20&query=%2Bsurname%3Ajones%20%2Bmarriage_place%3A%22united%20states%22%20%2Bmarriage_year%3A1940-1999~  Under the names shown in the results, you can see the titles of the databases like Ohio Marriages, 1800-1958 or Michigan Marriages, 1822-1995.

Offline taliandromeda

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 15 November 17 20:45 GMT (UK) »
That's how my dad's marriage came up, it does exist there but there is no info on who he married, that's where I am stuck.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 21 November 17 15:36 GMT (UK) »
If you look at the entry that you found, it should say what database it is in on Family Search.  If you could give me that database name, I may be able to see if it's available to be viewed somewhere.  As far as I know, all the marriage databases for Illinois on there would give a spouse's name, so maybe you need to click on the result or view it on a desktop computer to see it.

Offline taliandromeda

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 21 November 17 16:05 GMT (UK) »
Oh it was just a birth certificate not a marriage license, I mistakened it. If i give you my dad's birth date and name would that help? I don't really know how to search correctly the Illinois archives for marriage.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 21 November 17 16:14 GMT (UK) »
We can't post about living people here, but if you want to send me the information in a personal message, I can try to look.

Offline taliandromeda

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 21 November 17 16:20 GMT (UK) »
Oh please tell me how I make private message. I am relatively new to this place and can't see the option. Will be glad to send PM, thnx

Offline kirsty.foreman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 21 November 17 16:25 GMT (UK) »
There are lots of different databases on familysearch.org.  For example, I did a random search here - https://www.familysearch.org/search/record/results?count=20&query=%2Bsurname%3Ajones%20%2Bmarriage_place%3A%22united%20states%22%20%2Bmarriage_year%3A1940-1999~  Under the names shown in the results, you can see the titles of the databases like Ohio Marriages, 1800-1958 or Michigan Marriages, 1822-1995.
hi have you tried my Heritage dna it can find ur family and trace your ancestors and it cost 39 pounds cause of black friday

Offline taliandromeda

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 21 November 17 16:28 GMT (UK) »
Yes I saw the site but i don't have access to any other family members except my dad's and well he is my biological dad.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 21 November 17 17:05 GMT (UK) »
It's possible to find family members through autosomal DNA testing without knowing who they are.  I found my birth father's family through testing with Ancestry.com, and I didn't have his name.  He is deceased, but his sibling and a cousin had tested with Ancestry.com, and they came up as close matches for me.  I reached out to them, and I figured out who he was from the information they gave me. 

Considering that you are looking for someone who was in the US, testing with Ancestry.com is probably the best bet, since it has the largest database and lots of customers in the US.  It periodically is on sale for $79.  http://www.dnaadoption.com/ and http://www.dna-testing-adviser.com/ have a lot of helpful information about doing DNA testing and figuring out what you can from any matches you get.  If you are on Facebook, the DNA Detectives group has lots of people who know about DNA testing.