Author Topic: FindMyPast Index for Flintshire  (Read 2721 times)

Offline Jane Lucas

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: FindMyPast Index for Flintshire
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 15 November 17 14:45 GMT (UK) »
Just come across an old post from earlier this year where the place names (mainly Anglesey/NW Wales)are so badly transcribed they could be anywhere... and surnames of wife entered in forname of husband... grief!
Maybe Flintshire isn’t so bad...

I thought Devon had it's issues...we have the odd burial indexed as baptism and vice verse.. but generally Devon Records on FindMyPast are not too bad. The most annoying thing they do is for Baptisms where child is named xxx Junr. When in fact it should read xxx d/s of xxxx Junr.  Still, it is pretty dismal that someone looked at such record and indexed them quite back to front... there are dozens of them...

Sorry.. bit off topic..

Searle, Searell, Searell, Bradridge, Furneaux, Mann, Palk(e), Webber, Caunter, Cantor, Scoble, Leatherbe(e), Pope , Bowden, Full, Colling, Widecomb. Harvey, Solomon, Willis, Grylls, Alger, Chugg, Rouse, Bunker, Richards, Hawkins. Devon.
Davies, Griffiths, Griffith, Jones, Ellis. Flintshire, Wales.
Robinson, Dennison, Birch, Howard, Barton, Jones, Rigby, Rimmer, Rhymer, Johnson, Marshall, Lunt, Ball, Illingworth, Hesketh, Taylor, Bolton, Abram, Spencer, Blundell. Lancashire.

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 15 November 17 16:33 GMT (UK) »
F M P has two sets of results for Edward Griffiths - banns and marriage.

The banns have no heading but the marriage is headed Northop, although both indexed as Connah's Quay.

Edward a collier with witnesses Robert Ellis and Barbara Lewis.

Another way of fining results is to use the general parish marriage section and enter 'Northop' in 'Where'
 This brings up the two results and can be used for other searches, if you know where they lived. Some are only banns and in some cases they were read in two churches, which makes it difficult to know where the marriage took place.
 One in 1912 states of the parish of Northop and of Mold, but indexed as Bistre. The other, for the same couple, states of this parish and of Mold but indexed as Connah's Quay.

When the Wales records were introduced, there were numerous problems. For instance, some areas of Merionethshire were included under Montgomeryshire. Several people, including myself, sent messages to F M P and, eventually, they corrected the errors. It might pay to pester them but don't expect quick results.

David

Offline Jane Lucas

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 15 November 17 17:15 GMT (UK) »
Thanks David.. I also found both the banns and marriage but I didn't notice the marriage was headed Northop! Just shows you... I was focused on the witnesses for that image, having already decided (from the Banns index and image) that I would just have to deal with mis indexing..
I know Welsh names are very difficult for english only speakers, but surely they would get in someone who was a bit familiar with the language/geography. Even I have picked up more than it appears FindMyPast indexers have, and I am only just starting my Wales research. I haven't visited since Wales 1978!
It's not like the subscription or pay to view options are cheap.
Searle, Searell, Searell, Bradridge, Furneaux, Mann, Palk(e), Webber, Caunter, Cantor, Scoble, Leatherbe(e), Pope , Bowden, Full, Colling, Widecomb. Harvey, Solomon, Willis, Grylls, Alger, Chugg, Rouse, Bunker, Richards, Hawkins. Devon.
Davies, Griffiths, Griffith, Jones, Ellis. Flintshire, Wales.
Robinson, Dennison, Birch, Howard, Barton, Jones, Rigby, Rimmer, Rhymer, Johnson, Marshall, Lunt, Ball, Illingworth, Hesketh, Taylor, Bolton, Abram, Spencer, Blundell. Lancashire.