Author Topic: Esther Conroy Look Up Request for death notice/burial  (Read 1459 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Esther Conroy Look Up Request for death notice/burial
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 16 November 17 07:34 GMT (UK) »
Thank you everyone for your posts.  I really appreciate this.  I suppose in those days a hospital was often made to sound like a street address. 

Shame there doesn't appear to be a death notice.  I was hoping to find out if Joseph was still alive at this point. 

I don't think she would have had a private grave.  Joseph was or had been a miner by trade, so not well off.  Originally, from Birtley in Durham. 

Many Thanks Everyone for your feedback  :)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 16 November 17 09:54 GMT (UK) »
Do you know Joseph’s birth year?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 16 November 17 10:11 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps if you obtained Esther's death certificate it might confirm whether she was a widow or not  :-\
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 16 November 17 10:17 GMT (UK) »
Just checked on freebmd and Simon Joseph Conroy was born 1884
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 16 November 17 14:33 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps if you obtained Esther's death certificate it might confirm whether she was a widow or not

You could also check the 1939 register for her to see if Joseph was still alive at that time - it would narrow any search for his death

Esther was nee Miller and marriage 1925  but I can't see any Conroy/Miller births.  Was Joseph previously married as he was 41 by then

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 16 November 17 23:32 GMT (UK) »
I see Esther was actually born 1892 Liverpool per freebmd.  She was in Durham in 1911

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 17 November 17 07:06 GMT (UK) »
Yes, you are right Carol.  In 1911, she was staying with Joseph's married sister (Mary Armstrong) and family and Joseph and their brother John were also there.  John served in the Great War.  He died in a War hospital in England on 5 February 1918.  He had been gassed in France and shortly afterwards developed inoperable cancer of the stomach.  His body was returned to Sacriston for burial at St Bede on 9 February 1918.  A while back I posted a Commemoration plaque photo for John (which I inherited from my Father who was the nephew of John).  This is posted on RootsChat on the WW1 In Memoriam.

Simon Joseph was one of 10 children (not all survived to adulthood) born to my Great Grandparents Simon Peter and Bridget Conroy nee McCabe.  (Simon) Joseph, Esther's husband was born on 29 September 1884 and baptised at St Joseph RC Church at Birtley, Durham on 5 October 1884.  He and Esther married at this Church on 12 September 1925.

Thank you everyone for your feedback posts.  I do appreciate this. :)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 17 November 17 10:57 GMT (UK) »
There is a 1939 index entry for an Esther Conroy in Liverpool with a birthyear of 1884 which might be worth your while having a look at

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 17 November 17 13:01 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Carol.  Yes, I have seen this.  Joseph was alive at this point too.  There seem to be several possible deaths for a Joseph Conroy in later years.  I wonder if there is any possible burial for Joseph at Yew Tree.  Or Esther died first I wonder if he would have stayed in Liverpool or perhaps he may have travelled back to the Northumberland/Durham area?