Author Topic: German Bakers  (Read 1195 times)

Offline rogerb

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
German Bakers
« on: Wednesday 15 November 17 12:49 GMT (UK) »
I've got a couple of questions.  I'm very inexperienced with mainland European genealogy, so please bear with me!  The person in question is Johann Heinrich (or Hinrich) Fiehn, probably born between 1817 and 1826 in Germany (Don't have any clues about which area though).  He first appears in the UK in a marriage in 1851.  He seems to be one of quite a few German bakers that appear to have arrived in the Whitechapel area at around this time.

Does anyone know if there was some sort of mass immigration of German bakers at this time?

And secondly, his father as named on the marriage certificate is given as Johann Paul Fiehn, a farmer.  I can't find any record of this person using my usual channels, so has anyone, with any German knowledge, got any tips on how to trace this person?

Thanks

Roger

Offline Brie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: German Bakers
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 November 17 13:07 GMT (UK) »
Hello Roger,

There were a lot of German sugar bakers from Germany, especially Hanover. There is a little bit here http://eastlondonhistory.com/2011/06/16/east-end-sugar-bakers/ but if you google sugar bakers, German, Hanover you will find quite a lot of interesting reads.

Also if you search rootschat, there are some old posts that may be of interest.

One of my gggg aunts married a German sugar baker.

Cheers
Brie

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 November 17 13:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Well yes, many did come to the UK.
I know of a lady that came from Germany with her family in the 1890's.
She had shops in the North West, then moved to Chester.
Closed now, sadly.
Before "The Club" (the EC, EEC or EU, I call it the Club) I worked with Austrian, French, Italian, Spanish, many others and German Bakers.
Maggsie

Offline sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 12 Church St, MENT - the family sugarhouse, 1805
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 15 November 17 16:26 GMT (UK) »
You say Johann was a German baker. Brie points you to sugarbakers and I think that may be correct as I have the following entries on my database at  www.mawer.clara.net/sugarff.html ...

FIEHN   Heinrich   of Hannover   to London   1847   Metzner - Shipping Lists
FIEHN   Heinrich   of Hanover   to London   1847   Metzner - Shipping Lists
FIEHN   Johann H.   (St Mary's, Bow (Marriage))   London   1851   Contributor4
FIEHN   John Henry  (bpts of 3 children)   (St Geo East, 8 Pearl St, 13 Mountford St) London   1854-8   Christchurch Spitalfields Parish Regs
FIEHN   John Henry  (bpts of 5 children)   (11 York St Commercial Rd)  London   1861-8   Christchurch Spitalfields Parish Regs
FIEHN   John Henry  (bpt of son)  (11 York St)   London 1863   St Mary W'chapel Parish Regs

It appears that Johann arrived in London in 1847. Sugarbakers had been coming here in large numbers for the previous century owing to the refineries requiring labour and there being fewer farm labourers required in Germany. It was common practice for German males to use their second forename ... Heinrich in this case.

The ships' lists (AGFHS) show two entries for Heinrich, both sailing from Bremen to London, arriving 8 and 9 Nov 1847, and both giving his occupation as sugarbaker. He was "of Hanover", that being the kingdom rather than the city.

You undoubtedly have the BMD entries above.

AGFHS may be of use to you in your search in Germany.

You'll find plenty of info regarding the migration from N Germany, as well as details of the trade etc on my website ... see below. If I can help further, please just ask.
Almeroth, Germany (probably Hessen). Mawer, Softley, Johnson, Lancaster, Tatum, Bucknall (E.Yorks, Nfk, Lincs)

Sugar Refiners & Sugarbakers ... www.mawer.clara.net ...
50,000+ database entries, 270+ fatalities, 210+ fires, history, maps, directory, sales, blog, book, 500+ wills, etc.

WDYTYA magazine July 2017

Offline rogerb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 15 November 17 17:25 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the info folks.  I think I had probably misunderstood to occupation of Baker!

And thanks to Maggsie who gave me a possible Baptism with about the right name, date and location.  Even though the father's name wasn't exactly right, I am still looking at it because of the 2nd given name usage.

Roger