Author Topic: King and Butters in Peterhead  (Read 3250 times)

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: King and Butters in Peterhead
« Reply #9 on: Friday 22 December 17 21:15 GMT (UK) »
Could the infant who died in 1850 be Joan & not John?
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 22 December 17 21:23 GMT (UK) »
   I had found a scanned document for burial for Barbara King or Butters 14 Aug 1855 in plot 34 at the same cemetery, which I assumed was our Barbara.  It is possible there was no room for Barbara in this plot in 1855, although further burials were possible later.   
This cannot be right, as I said in reply no.2 she was alive in the 1861 & 1871 censuses!
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline themonkeymonkey

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 22 December 17 21:33 GMT (UK) »
Are you sure it is the right Barbara King/Butters that died on 14 August 1855 as the cemetery is given as St Peters Cemetery Aberdeen and not Old Churchyard at Peterhead like the relatives.
Manson, Wilson, Copland, Craighead, Youngson, Ross, Thomson, Smith, Horn

Offline gypsyspirit

• RootsChat Extra
  • Margaret
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 22 December 17 21:47 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for taking the time to assist. Sorry, my typo,  the burial record in St Peters Churchyard is 14 Aug 1885. Following her daughter Isabella's census records it seems the family moved back to Peterhead by the 1881 census and Barbara is missing from the 1891 Census, so that fits with a death in 1885, presumably in Peterhead?.
Thanks for clarifying the different churchyards, as I am not familiar with Aberdeen and Peterhead and  I can easily get them mixed up.
What I am really trying to find out is Barbara's family of origin, presumably King.
I believe the burial John Butters infant in 1850 belongs to the next generation of Butters.
WELLS: London, Bedfordshire, Stawell (Australia)
HAWTHORN: Kettering England
BROWN: Ayrshire, London
HARRIS: London, Ballarat, Pitfield, Richmond (Australia)
REID: Ayrshire, Scotland, Stawell (Australia)
SELLAR: Aberdeen
BRUCE
FOSTER: Durham
McGOWAN: Ayrshire and Durham
JOHNSON: England and Australia
ILES: England and Australia
QUARRELL: Ballarat, Pitfield, Stawell, Creswick Australia
BUTTERS: Peterhead Aberdeenshire
KING: Aberdeenshire
BROWN: Manchester
CHASTON: Suffolk, Surrey
BROWN: Suffolk

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 22 December 17 21:58 GMT (UK) »
Reply no.1, from Rosie,gives you the details of Barbara's death certificate. Have you not viewed it? It will give the names of her parents. The death was registered in Aberdeen so that is where she died, not Peterhead.
flst

Offline gypsyspirit

• RootsChat Extra
  • Margaret
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 22 December 17 22:53 GMT (UK) »
Thanks. I bought some credits and have the death certificate. It is informative.  Will go from there.
BRUCE

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 22 December 17 23:25 GMT (UK) »
Out of interest, what names does the death certificate give for the parents and what does it say about her father's occupation?

Offline gypsyspirit

• RootsChat Extra
  • Margaret
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 23 December 17 00:27 GMT (UK) »
Just what I expected
Barbara Butters, widow of John Butters (dec), Seaman Merchant Service.

mother Isabella King Ms Bruce (dec) - I had found a birth for Barbara with this Bruce name which I will now accept, and the Scottish naming pattern is evident here, Barbara's first daughter named after mother's mother.

father Alexander King (dec)  - Master Shoemaker - my ggggrandfather Alexander second son named after mother's father, older brother John named after father's father.

it is a bit complicated because John Butters married twice, Barbara was the second wife and she raised the earlier children.

Now for the mysterious Agnes Penny (born England), living with Barbara and all the young children except Alexander in Peterhead at the 1941 Census - perhaps a grandmother?

My Alexander Butters was living in the house of Alexander King at 1841 Census. After that he went to sea, and eventually to Australia.

Can now confidently look among a number of DNA matches with Bruce for the earlier family

thanks for all the good advice and interest

How far back do the Scotland's People records go?  I am having trouble locating Alexander King's birth in Scotland's People although I found a Registry Record that fits.
BRUCE

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 23 December 17 09:27 GMT (UK) »
How far back do the Scotland's People records go?
The oldest record is from 1553 if I recall correctly. But it's not how far back they go that matters, it is how complete they are.

From 1855 every birth, marriage and death should be recorded in the statutory records, and the vast majority are.

Before that, it's a very different story.

See https://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/research/guides/old-parish-registers/list-of-old-parish-registers

The Church of Scotland was supposed to record all births and marriages, but there are several reasons why this didn't happen in practice
- poor record keeping by the clerk
- people belonging to one of the other denominations so the C of S didn't hear about them
- parents not bothering to have their children baptised, or to have the baptisms recorded

and of course many of the registers did not survive, for whatever reason.

SP has the surviving C of S and RC records, and a fair proportion of the surviving free and dissenting churches' records. So the majority of the surviving records are on SP.

However the records of the Episcopal Church, which was quite strong in parts of eastern Scotland, are not included. The surviving Episcopalian registers are either still in the respective churches, or in the custody of the dioceses or in some cases in local or university archives, so tracking them down takes more than a few clicks of a mouse.

I am having trouble locating Alexander King's birth in Scotland's People although I found a Registry Record that fits.
Just because it fits doesn't mean it is the right one! (What do you mean by 'registry record?)

I see above that Alexander King was buried in 1847, aged 74. If this age is accurate, it puts his DoB sometime in 1772 or 1773. The 1841 census shows him as born in Aberdeenshire and aged 67, which, if accurate, puts his birth in 1773 or 1774. There is a baptism of an Alexander King in Cruden in 1773, but it's not safe to assume he is the correct one without some more evidence.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.