Author Topic: (*Completed with thanks*)William Dickinson Smith born 1889  (Read 2373 times)

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Aye mair questions than answers!
    • View Profile
(*Completed with thanks*)William Dickinson Smith born 1889
« on: Wednesday 15 November 17 14:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi there

William Dickinson Smith was born on 17 February 1889 in 26 Mid Street, Dundee, Forfarshire s/o James Smith (1856-1938) and Jane Ann McIntosh (1853-1928).

William married Matilda Sturrock Mill (1891-1945), d/o William Mill (1863-1915) and Barbara Dick Heggie (1865-1908), on 17 July 1912 in 7 Alexander Street, Dundee, Forfarshire.  Matilda is recorded as a "Widow" in a subsequent Register of Marriage for her in November 1920.

I am at a loss to find details of William's death  ???  although there are three possibilities - (CWGC) WW1 KIA 24 Nov 1914, WW1 KIA 30 July 1917 or (National Archives) Web: UK, Campaign Medals Awarded to WWI Merchant Seamen, 1914-1925.

Is there anyone with further knowledge willing to help me?

Regards

Chiad Fhear
Aye mair questions than answers in a world where the past was a different place - that cannae be revisited!

Family surnames being researched ...
Crawford, Neilson, Lindsay, Reekie, Davidson
Drummond, Laing, Pearson, Tulloch ... will do for starters but there's a whole lot more!

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with yet another pudding bowl haircut...
    • View Profile
Re: William Dickinson Smith born 1889
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 16 November 17 19:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Have you had a look at the valuation rolls for 1915/1920? There's a Mrs Matilda Smith (widow) showing in 1915 at 287 Blackness Rd she's still there in 1920. If that's the address on your Matilda's marriage certificate in 1920 then it's an indication William died prior to 1915.
Jen
North East Scotland above the Tay...
JOLLY, Johnston,Thom, Rae, Davidson, Fielding, Sherret
FEARN, McKenzie, Stirling [brick wall], Robb, Wilson, Stott
RUSSELL, Fullerton, Christie, Cochrane, Davidson, Coutts, Easton, Scott
FRASER, Henderson, Noble, Mundie, Goodall, Thain, Neish, Moir

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 November 17 19:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi jennywren001

Appreciate your response.

The Register of Marriage for Matilda's second marriage on 2 November 1920 shows her address as 48 Wellgate, Dundee - just a stone's throw from Blackness Road - but Blackness Road doesn't appear for her, her first or second spouses.

The 1915 Valuation Roll information is a clue towards William being the WW1 casualty on 24 November 1914 though.

Regards

Chiad Fhear
Aye mair questions than answers in a world where the past was a different place - that cannae be revisited!

Drummond, Laing, Pearson, Tulloch ... will do for starters but there's a whole lot more!

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 16 November 17 21:14 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, the Blackness Rd woman is still there in 1920 - another Matilda Smith is at 47 Wellgate in 1920...so no clue  :-\
Jen

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 16 November 17 22:16 GMT (UK) »
Now we're getting somewhere Jen

In the 1920 Register of Marriage, Matilda was residing at 48 Wellgate, Dundee.  Relevant section of the record attached.

Chiad Fhear

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 17 November 17 09:32 GMT (UK) »
Not sure how complete this is - Dundee WW1 war dead...there's a W D Smith listed - Sergeant in the Black Watch.
http://www.fdca.org.uk/pdf%20files/DundeeROHS.pdf
Can I ask how you know he died in the war? Did his marriage certificate indicate he was in a branch of the services? Were any children born to the couple?
Jen

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 17 November 17 10:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jen

Just trawling the 'net for more about William before your message arrived and found the information you refer to.

I had already elected to search this site: https://www.greatwardundee.com/the-home-front/dundee-war-memorials/ where William's address is shown as 64 Hilltown. In the 1901 Census I found the Smith family residing at 61 Hilltown with William age 12.

The 1912 Register of Marriage for William and Matilda has no reference to him being in any branch of the services. He is shown as a "Calender Worker" aged 23 and residing at 7 Alexander Street - where the couple were married. Matilda's address is given as 54 Hilltown.

I've been unable to find any "issue" from the marriage - Smith is a nightmare of a name to follow  ::) - and so, in the absence of any death information in the Scottish Records in Edinburgh, and Matilda being shown as a widow in 1920, it seemed logical to assume that William was a casualty of the First World War.

Regards

Chiad Fhear

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 17 November 17 10:49 GMT (UK) »
64 Hilltown in 1915 there are three male 'Smiths' living - not sure how big this tenement was? There's a Thomas on the ground floor, a George 2 up and a William - no indication of which floor...People were packed in like rats in Dundee :(
Jen
Interesting photo from about the 1930s...all gone now. I suspect 64 was up the pend but that's only a guess..
https://www.flickr.com/photos/118069284@N05/33414545462

Sorry a bit off topic ;)

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 17 November 17 11:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jen

Interesting old picture!  Your assumption of living conditions in Dundee at the time is about right  :o

I've discovered that there's a "WILLIAM DICKINS SMITH" born 1915 St Clements (Dundee) on ScotlandsPeople.  The middle name is possibly shortened from DICKINSON.  The results tend to be abbreviated at times where long names are involved.  Could be "issue" so I'll need to check it out.

Chiad Fhear