Author Topic: Publication of Census taken in 1921  (Read 5657 times)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Publication of Census taken in 1921
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 15 November 17 19:35 GMT (UK) »
I am sure my MP has more to worry about than getting the 1921 census released early (if at all).  I can think of far more important things that I would like him to deal with  ::)
It's difficult enough to get Private Members Bills on really, really important matters passed. They don't get much time allocated. Some are "talked out".  Parliament's timetable is crammed for the foreseeable future.
Cowban

Offline Gossypium

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 15 November 17 19:54 GMT (UK) »
Well, Maiden Stone, it is a question of reasonableness although you a free to pick nits if that is what you want to do!

Someone born in 1921 would be aged 95 or 96 today.  They would not have completed or scribbled on a census return.  Their births would have been registered so the names of their parents are a matter of public record.  They did not have an occupation or a spouse, so what facts about a minor born in 1921 could be sensitive and merit confidentiality today? 

Please be reasonable.  All I am suggesting is that genealogists write to their MPs in a similar manner to my letters/emails because we may get a result.  It takes about 5 minutes to prepare an email to your MP.

I know a genealogist who will have his 91st birthday next week and who would love to have access to the 1921 census as his birthday present because it may contain the answers to some questions which are hanging in the air.  He may not be around in 2022 if we all have to wait until then.

Offline IMBER

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 15 November 17 21:05 GMT (UK) »
The good news is that the 1931 Scottish census is intact.

Imber
Skewis (Wales and Scotland), Ayers (Maidenhead, Berkshire), Hildreth (Berkshire)

Offline Gossypium

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 15 November 17 21:15 GMT (UK) »
Bless their Sporrens!  Someone born in 1931 in Scotland would be aged 85 or 86 today and would not have completed or scribbled on a census return in 1931. Genealogists interested in Scottish censuses should ask their MPs about publication of the 1931 Scottish Census earlier than planned.

I wonder if the Censuses of Northern Ireland taken in 1921 and 1931 have survived?

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 15 November 17 21:52 GMT (UK) »
I maybe wrong but I believe the FOI Scotland Act Excludes disclosure of personal census data and have read that the 2021 census will have a nondisclosure for 100 years not sure about previous census
and lastly I have a living relative who may have completed the 1921 census there are still a few of them about

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 15 November 17 21:55 GMT (UK) »
Did the population at the time of the 1921 census think or understand the details given would be confidential for their lifetime.

I very much doubt it.

The majority of previous census had been released on average after 80 years some considerably earlier.

There was not and never had been any privacy law in the UK that is a figment of the imagination of people in the 21st century.

In any case what is confidential about the details of the 1921 census
1921 Census holds details of

Name & Surname
Relationship to head of household
Age, sex, married or single for children under 15 whether parents alive or dead
Birthplace and nationality
Education  (i.e. whether attending school full or part-time) Occupation, Employer & place of work
Married men, widows & widowers also had to state the number and tick a box for the age of each living child under 16 years old

As can be seen from the above no personal information was asked, no questions about medical condition etc.
The Irish, Welsh and Scottish census differed slightly and also asked about language.

Practically all of the above information would have been common knowledge to the family's friends & neighbours, unlike today people talked to each other and shock horror often went into each others houses, they lived in communities.

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 15 November 17 22:17 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Rosie.  I have just written again to my MP as follows:

I should like to request the Government to review its policy of retention and the period of closure such that the 1921 census may be published earlier than planned.

This would still uphold the confidentiality assurances given to respondents born after 1903, assuming that nobody would respond to questions asked by a census enumerator until the age of 18.

The household returns in the 1921 census are unlikely to have been completed by anyone who was born after 1903. 
A census enumerator didn't ask questions. Their responsibility was delivering and collecting household returns and chasing up any late ones. It was up to the head of household to ensure the census return was completed correctly and ready for collection.
 You cannot say who may have filled in a household return. A child or teenager may have done so. My 9 year-old aunt was the only other person in the household with her aged, illiterate grandfather, a farmer,  on an earlier census, her parents being out of the country. It's possible that she completed the form, and that the spelling mistakes were hers. Her grandfather certainly didn't.
Everyone who had been born by census day 1921 was included. Many of them are still alive.  The confidentiality applies to them.

Part of the enumerator's job when he/she delivered the schedule was to ask how many rooms were occupied by the family (certain rooms were not to be counted) he/she also had to ask how many rooms were shared with other people. If necessary the enumerator must fill in the schedule obtaining the information by enquiry.

In any case if a person really wanted to make a confidential return they could do so by telling the enumerator when he/she delivered the schedule, such schedules were noted as such in the enumerator’s returns and given to the enumerator in a sealed envelope they could therefore be redacted as confidential information is on the 1939 National Registration.

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline Wendy2305

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 15 November 17 22:42 GMT (UK) »
Guy I agree there is nothing confidential in the census and that most would've been known to family and friends and the local community but it is no longer restricted to the local community with the internet we do see some people have no regard for others when adding things to their family trees ie living people illegitimate children divorce which may not be known to their children or grandchildren
Also
According to 1921cenus.og webpage the government seems to be firmly sticking to the 100 year rule with a possible reason being that for the 2021 census there would have to be strong promises of confidentially which wouldn't sit well with the early release of the 1921 census when the promise was made at the time that individuals details would never be made public

So possibly people filling in the census were under the impression it wouldn't be released

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 15 November 17 22:59 GMT (UK) »
As well as just putting a post on here, why not start an on line petition and put links to that here and on other genealogy forums? If it gets more than 10,000 people supporting it, it will be considered for a debate.

https://www.parliament.uk/get-involved/sign-a-petition/
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk