Author Topic: George Henderson tenant farmer Craigton, Abercorn, WLN  (Read 837 times)

Offline Fordyce

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
George Henderson tenant farmer Craigton, Abercorn, WLN
« on: Wednesday 15 November 17 17:25 GMT (UK) »
George Henderson died in 1798 in Craigton House. He was "a remarkably active farmer" according to a book "Rural Recollections" published in 1829, having some 2000 acres in various areas of the country.

When he married Barbara Brown on 19 Jan 1766 he was a "farmer in Dundas in the parish of Dalmeny". Does anyone know anything further on his earlier background and his holdings other than as tenant at Craigton and Duntarvie on the Hopetoun Estate in Abercorn, WLN? I've found out as much as I can from the Hopetoun records, so I'm looking further afield.

He had several subtenants in Craigton and Duntarvie, including my ancestor Thomas Shatton, certainly in the late 1780s but possibly at other times. If anything my Thomas Shatton was some years older than George Henderson and seemed to be George's main subtenant, there being six others.

I've hit a brick wall with Thomas Shatton (aka Chatto, Chattie). He died in 1816 age 84 so would have been born abt 1732 (no record anywhere); he married a local lass Betty Brash in abt 1770 (no record anywhere). He might have come to Abercorn from elsewhere, having impressed George Henderson. Clutching at straws!