Author Topic: William Harcourt HENWOOD c1897-1967  (Read 2739 times)

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Harcourt HENWOOD c1897-1967
« Reply #18 on: Friday 24 November 17 11:51 GMT (UK) »
...... he fought for NZ but WITH Aust during WWI. Possibly during the Gallipoli campaign

Except that there is no NZ service record.  The company which produced the cemetery plaque should have been aware of legislation forbidding the use of the Rising Sun emblem without written permission.  Why would his plaque carry the AIF emblem instead of NZ?

Perhaps your friend is not aware of the depth of information on a NZ marriage cert....

Bride and Groom

When and where married
    Name and surname of the parties
    Ages
    Rank or profession
    Condition of parties
    Bachelor or spinster (or as case may be)
    If widow or widower date of death of former wife or husband
    Birthplace
    Residence: Present, Usual

Parents

Father's name and surname
    Father's rank or profession
    Mothers name and Maiden surname

Signatures

Bride and groom
    Witnesses
    Officiating minister (or Registrar)

https://bdmhistoricalrecords.dia.govt.nz/dataCollected/marriage

Debra  :)

Online Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 24 November 17 20:13 GMT (UK) »

The similarities between these two men, time of disappearance of HBL, appearance of WHH, service number etc is amazing.     

Hmm ... I really can't agree that there are similarities between these two men ... and certainly there's nothing that borders on being "amazing".  ;D   
(The NZ service number is unique to HBL and it is distinctly different to the supposed A.I.F. number allocated to WHH. )
Just my personal view ... but I would be  looking to do something other than "barking up this LUSCOMBE tree".   ;D

Additional info for H.B. LUSCOMBE - (for elimination purposes) :  This man was born at Ashburton,  (South Island) NZ in June 1893.   His parents, Roger Bond LUSCOMBE and Susan Jane PERRING (ex Devon) arrived in Canterbury in 1874.
They eventually married in NZ in 1904 and about 1912, returned to Devon, UK.   HBL appears to have gone with them as he wed his 1st wife there in 1913 ?   And although there was a divorce from wife # 1 in NZ in 1920, HBL managed to squeeze in another "marriage" beforehand, on 9 July 1918, Westminster (London) to Rosina Elizabeth BRABHAM using the name Henry Hingston LUSCOMBE (bachelor - aged 25 - Lance Cpl. NZED, residence: On Active Service, Father: Roger Bond Luscombe, farmer : ) ::)   So Florence, his NZ bride of 1922, was actually wife # 3.  The last living of his children with Florence, died just a matter of days ago in Auckland aged 89 (born c. 1928).  But a daughter (buried with Florence) who died aged 11 in 1940, appears to have been the youngest.   HBL, an apiarist, last appeared on NZ e/roll ( 1931 - Mid-Canterbury) with wife Florence, residing at Trevors Road, Ashburton.   Prior -  in 1928 they'd lived at the small settlement of Flemington (HBL a labourer)  . [Source:  Various NZ / UK records, newspaper articles, etc. ]

~  Lu

Offline SandraAust

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 27 November 17 02:53 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your reply Dundee.

I can ask if they are willing to purchase the 1931 marriage cert but they already know that I am stuck at this point so I'm just hoping that they will do so.
As for the details on the plaque, I assume that the second wife who is now deceased had organised the funeral and must have had some kind of proof. The only family member willing to be involved in these discussions is the youngest child and she was in her mid teens when her father died 50 years ago. She is willing though to purchase the cert for the second marriage (to her mother) though as that took place after they had already been together 20 years it may not provide the info we're looking for.

...... he fought for NZ but WITH Aust during WWI. Possibly during the Gallipoli campaign

Except that there is no NZ service record.  The company which produced the cemetery plaque should have been aware of legislation forbidding the use of the Rising Sun emblem without written permission.  Why would his plaque carry the AIF emblem instead of NZ?

Perhaps your friend is not aware of the depth of information on a NZ marriage cert....

Bride and Groom

When and where married
    Name and surname of the parties
    Ages
    Rank or profession
    Condition of parties
    Bachelor or spinster (or as case may be)
    If widow or widower date of death of former wife or husband
    Birthplace
    Residence: Present, Usual

Parents

Father's name and surname
    Father's rank or profession
    Mothers name and Maiden surname

Signatures

Bride and groom
    Witnesses
    Officiating minister (or Registrar)

https://bdmhistoricalrecords.dia.govt.nz/dataCollected/marriage

Debra  :)
Compton: England (Hampshire, Surrey), Australia
Bentley: England (Lancashire, Warwickshire, Worcestershire), Australia
McGowan: NZ, Australia
Rowley: NZ, England, Australia
Salvin: NZ, England, Australia
Von Lehenner: Germany, England

Offline SandraAust

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 27 November 17 03:00 GMT (UK) »
Another marriage? My goodness he was a busy man.

It's because of the confusion that I had been discussing HBL off-forum just so as not to go off-track. It's looking like WHH might remain a mystery man unless his dau can gather additional information within her family. I hope she can talk them around, as being older they might have different recollections of family stories, what they had been told of his past and parents etc.

The similarities between these two men, time of disappearance of HBL, appearance of WHH, service number etc is amazing.     

Hmm ... I really can't agree that there are similarities between these two men ... and certainly there's nothing that borders on being "amazing".  ;D   
(The NZ service number is unique to HBL and it is distinctly different to the supposed A.I.F. number allocated to WHH. )
Just my personal view ... but I would be  looking to do something other than "barking up this LUSCOMBE tree".   ;D

Additional info for H.B. LUSCOMBE - (for elimination purposes) :  This man was born at Ashburton,  (South Island) NZ in June 1893.   His parents, Roger Bond LUSCOMBE and Susan Jane PERRING (ex Devon) arrived in Canterbury in 1874.
They eventually married in NZ in 1904 and about 1912, returned to Devon, UK.   HBL appears to have gone with them as he wed his 1st wife there in 1913 ?   And although there was a divorce from wife # 1 in NZ in 1920, HBL managed to squeeze in another "marriage" beforehand, on 9 July 1918, Westminster (London) to Rosina Elizabeth BRABHAM using the name Henry Hingston LUSCOMBE (bachelor - aged 25 - Lance Cpl. NZED, residence: On Active Service, Father: Roger Bond Luscombe, farmer : ) ::)   So Florence, his NZ bride of 1922, was actually wife # 3.  The last living of his children with Florence, died just a matter of days ago in Auckland aged 89 (born c. 1928).  But a daughter (buried with Florence) who died aged 11 in 1940, appears to have been the youngest.   HBL, an apiarist, last appeared on NZ e/roll ( 1931 - Mid-Canterbury) with wife Florence, residing at Trevors Road, Ashburton.   Prior -  in 1928 they'd lived at the small settlement of Flemington (HBL a labourer)  . [Source:  Various NZ / UK records, newspaper articles, etc. ]

~  Lu
Compton: England (Hampshire, Surrey), Australia
Bentley: England (Lancashire, Warwickshire, Worcestershire), Australia
McGowan: NZ, Australia
Rowley: NZ, England, Australia
Salvin: NZ, England, Australia
Von Lehenner: Germany, England

Offline kiwiallan

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 27 November 21 07:33 GMT (UK) »
William Harcourt HENWOOD was undoubtedly the assumed persona of Hingston Bond LUSCOMBE (born 1893 in Canterbury, NZ). His behaviour throughout his life of serial bigamous marriages and abandoned families was entirely consistent.

My maternal grandmother was a LUSCOMBE and a first cousin to Hingston. Myself and five of my cousins (or their children) are all genetic matches (ranging between 10 and 85 cM) to a descendent of William Harcourt HENWOOD and his fourth wife. There is no other obvious genealogical or genetic explanation other than William HENWOOD was actually Hingston LUSCOMBE.

I have been researching the LUSCOMBE family for some years. Without these RootsChat postings there is no way that I could have ever have discovered what became of Hingston, after he disappeared so completely in 1930. The clue was his WWI army number on his grave stone. It was amazing that he was able to get away with what he did across 50 years, from 1918 to his death in 1968, without being apprehended.

Offline Lynda02

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 13 March 22 14:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi I have just come across this thread while going through my DNA matches looking for William Harcourt Henwood. He comes up in one of my matches trees and to start with I could not find anything on him until I did a google search and found this. I have several DNA matches to the Luscombe family who went to New Zealand. I have traced most of them back to William Luscombe b abt 1772 and Dorothy Torring b abt 1780.

I am not sure how they are related to me at the moment. I do have Luscombe in my tree but I can not connect them. There is a possibility the link could go back to Agnes Hingston b abt 1697.
Devon: Billing, Tucker,Palmer, Vallance, Knight, Endacott, Carpenter, Godbeer, Winsor,

Cornwall: Carpenter, Moon