Author Topic: William Harcourt HENWOOD c1897-1967  (Read 2742 times)

Offline SandraAust

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Harcourt HENWOOD c1897-1967
« Reply #9 on: Friday 24 November 17 00:08 GMT (UK) »
haha Would you believe that is the man (in your link) I have been discussing behind the scenes with minniehaha? I have no proof whatsover but the similarities are you too much to ignore. He certainly disappeared completely after that second marriage didn't he?

I don't have the marriage cert from 1931 and because I'm researching as a favour I'm not willing to purchase it either. The newspaper notice says his parents were from County Cavan and IF they never went to NZ then it would be assumed that he was also born there though once again nothing found.

I'm guessing illegitimacy but he sounds like a very intelligent man so seems to have been provided with a good education. This info is from a dau from the second relationship/marriage.

What information is on the 1931 marriage certificate?

There are some Henwoods in New Plymouth, possibly related? Illegitimacy or adoption involved?

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/146898594
 the "103330" could be his number, but 10/3330 is a Hingston Bond Luscombe:
https://www.archway.archives.govt.nz/ViewFullItem.do?code=10921120&digital=yes
This man was married, but he divorced 1920, remarried 1922 - can't find a death for him ???
Compton: England (Hampshire, Surrey), Australia
Bentley: England (Lancashire, Warwickshire, Worcestershire), Australia
McGowan: NZ, Australia
Rowley: NZ, England, Australia
Salvin: NZ, England, Australia
Von Lehenner: Germany, England

Offline SandraAust

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 24 November 17 00:13 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Lu. Aust Archives was one of the first places I looked and def nothing for him with a similar name etc. His dau from the second relationship has applied for his NZ military file but there are lengthy delays so it could be several months before she hears anything. There are photos of him in uniform outside what appears to be barracks. His face is clearly seen so she knows it was him.

Mmm ... the memorial plaque bearing his service number, also includes >  A.  I.  F. >  which suggests he served in the Australian Imperial Forces.   ???

~  Lu

Offline SandraAust

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 24 November 17 00:20 GMT (UK) »
I looked at HBL's military file on Archway and it says on one of the many pages that he couldn't be traced. I think it was also to do with the death of his son. Funnily enough it also mentions that he served in WWI but not WW2 and left me with the impression that the family thought that he might have.

The similarities between these two men, time of disappearance of HBL, appearance of WHH, service number etc is amazing. DNA testing is looking good but I think I would be overstepping boundaries if I suggested that.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/146898594
 the "103330" could be his number, but 10/3330 is a Hingston Bond Luscombe:
https://www.archway.archives.govt.nz/ViewFullItem.do?code=10921120&digital=yes
This man was married, but he divorced 1920, remarried 1922 - can't find a death for him ???

Henry Bond LUSCOMBE the son of above, died at Wellington in December 1939.   His mother, Anne Maria SIEVERS made application for administration of his estate in 1950 at which time she stated that Hingston Bond LUSCOMBE could not be traced.

Added:   Florence, the 2nd wife (1922), died in NZ in 1955.  Her will dated 1953 (listing her as "married woman") doesn't mention a husband ... her 3 children were named beneficiaries of her estate.

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 24 November 17 01:21 GMT (UK) »

His dau from the second relationship has applied for his NZ military file but there are lengthy delays so it could be several months before she hears anything. There are photos of him in uniform outside what appears to be barracks. His face is clearly seen so she knows it was him.

Hi

Just curious, but why has a New Zealand Military file been applied for when his service seems to have been for Australia  (A.I.F. )   ???   [The plaque also has an Australian emblem embossed / engraved , on it ? ]

*  Do you have the photos of him in uniform ... and are you able to post them in this thread ?

~  Lu

Offline SandraAust

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 24 November 17 01:37 GMT (UK) »
Sorry Lu, I didn't make that clear enough. His dau says he was definitely in RNZAF but she remembers being told that he fought for NZ but WITH Aust during WWI. Possibly during the Gallipoli campaign which would have made him around 18 IF he was born in 1897 like she believes.

I'll come back in a minute with a pic that crops out or fuzzies his head if I can figure out how to do it.

His dau from the second relationship has applied for his NZ military file but there are lengthy delays so it could be several months before she hears anything. There are photos of him in uniform outside what appears to be barracks. His face is clearly seen so she knows it was him.

Hi

Just curious, but why has a New Zealand Military file been applied for when his service seems to have been for Australia  (A.I.F. )   ???   [The plaque also has an Australian emblem embossed / engraved , on it ? ]

*  Do you have the photos of him in uniform ... and are you able to post them in this thread ?

~  Lu

Offline SandraAust

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 24 November 17 01:53 GMT (UK) »
Should be two pics attached.

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 24 November 17 01:54 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the clarification.   ;D

I was just about to mention that WHH showed up in NZ electoral rolls in later years when he was living in the Auckland area, with the occupation of "Airman" on the e/rolls of 1954 and 1957.

Prior to this > 1935 / 1938 / 1941 / 1946 / 1949  > he was listed as a "Driver or Motor Driver".
In 1963 his occupation was "clerk".

~  Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 24 November 17 01:58 GMT (UK) »
... your photos came thru ... loud and clear.   ;)

Next question :

*  Does the daughter you speak about here, have a copy of her own birth certificate, which shows her parents' birthplaces ??

~  Lu

Offline SandraAust

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 24 November 17 02:18 GMT (UK) »
I don't know how to resize the pics but they are rather large aren't they?  ;D

K (the dau) remembers seeing her b/c and it said dad born New Plymouth BUT one of her brothers (same mother) says that his shows dad born London. Yet another brother, now deceased, had been researching and is said to have been able to discount both locations but his wife has everything in storage and is currently unable to access the paperwork.

One of K's brothers made an attempt several (Many?) years ago to speak to one of the dau's from WHH's first family (the 1931 marriage). Apparently she refused to speak to him. Needless to say that there will be no assistance given from the first family.
minniehaha suggested contacting the Methodist Church for any additional information but I see that their archives are currently unavailable (rehoused after Christchurch quakes).

... your photos came thru ... loud and clear.   ;)

Next question :

*  Does the daughter you speak about here, have a copy of her own birth certificate, which shows her parents' birthplaces ??

~  Lu