Author Topic: Wilks family in St Phillip & St Jacob Bristol Gloucestershire  (Read 504 times)

Offline bundoora

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Wilks family in St Phillip & St Jacob Bristol Gloucestershire
« on: Thursday 16 November 17 04:10 GMT (UK) »
This is my first postings for many years and I am still trying to breakdown the same brickwalls.

I have Joseph Wilks (or Wilkes) said to have been born 1814 St Phillip & St Jake.  He had a brother William a few years older and mother Mary Ann who was a straw bonnet maker, both of whom followed him to Australia and whom I can trace.  Joseph was charged with housebreaking in Bristol and sentenced to death but persistence from his mother ( and a witness) had the sentence commuted to transportation for life to VDL.  From this time forward his life is well documented.

I can find details of his charge - nothing prior to March 1831.  I just wonder if there have been new records released that I am unaware of that might help me with Joseph's life prior to 1831.  His native place is recorded as St Phillip & St Jacob.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Wilks family in St Phillip & St Jacob
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 16 November 17 08:41 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat! ;D

I presume you are referring to the parish of St. Philip & St. Jacob in Bristol?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline bundoora

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 November 17 10:42 GMT (UK) »
Yes you are correct - St Phillip & St Jacob, Bristol.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 16 November 17 13:51 GMT (UK) »
I'm not seeing anything on FamilySearch.org, FindMyPast or on FreeReg? :(

Ancestry might have a baptism for William? (Parents John & Maria)
But nothing for Joseph :-\
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline bundoora

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Wilks family in St Phillip & St Jacob Bristol Gloucestershire
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 16 November 17 21:54 GMT (UK) »
Yes there is my conundrum.  I too have searched the sources you mention. 

The only other history I didn't mention is that the family have letters referring to  'Uncle Samuel Wilks' MD and Joseph Barber Wilks Treasurer of the East India Company.   I have researched these families and can find no connection with my ancestor.

I have followed many of the Wilks family lines in Cantlow and Wimslow Warwickshire, Harborn Warwick, Newington Surrey, and others.

I found a marriage on Ancestry: 13th June 1811, Chipping Camden, Gloucester between William Watson Wilks and Mary Woodward Freeman and for a couple of reasons ( given names of parents, county, time period) feel this may be the parents of my Joseph and William but am yet to prove it.
I cannot see from my research why I wasn't convinced so will spend the next few hours looking further.  You response has moved me forward again.  Thankyou.