Author Topic: Griffiths valuation  (Read 503 times)

Offline wildwitch

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Griffiths valuation
« on: Thursday 16 November 17 12:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I wonder if anybody can help me understand the Griffiths valuation. I was able to find my ancestor in the Griffiths valuation 1857 in a little village near Laghy in Donegal. I know he was a farmer and died in this village some 30 years later. I find him now in this same village in the Griffiths valuations under the category 'townlands & occupiers.' He is recorded for 2 properties (both being 'house, office and land'). The 'immediate lessor'  however is somebody different and for 1 of the properties seems to be a relative (due to having the same surname). I cannot however find my ancestors name as a lessor in this village. My questions now:
1. Was the occupier the owner of the property or does it mean he held a long term lease and sublet the property?
2. Could he still have lived in the village even though he doesn't appear as a lessor in that particular village?
3. Does 'house, office and land' refer to a farm?
Thank you for any help

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline hallmark

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Griffiths valuation
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 16 November 17 12:30 GMT (UK) »

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline hallmark

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 November 17 12:31 GMT (UK) »

Offline wildwitch

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 16 November 17 22:19 GMT (UK) »