Author Topic: Christening in 1941  (Read 2625 times)

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
Christening in 1941
« on: Thursday 16 November 17 21:34 GMT (UK) »
This is a strange question to ask as the person is still alive
I've been speaking to night to my cousins husband and he doesn't know where he was Christened
During the war his mother and children were sent from Newcastle  to Gilsland near Brampton  Cumberland ???  or  could still be in Northumberland   ??? ???
He was born 19.12.1941 and was there for three weeks or so ..On his birth certificate they have him born Brampton
How can he find where he was christened please initials are R C
Elizabeth
McKenzie,Helmsdale.,Mackay's,Gordon's,Polsons,Sutherland's,Loth & N/Z .Watson ,Munro,Pitsligo.Black. Harle ,East Hollywell.Black,and Short East Hollywell.Northumberland Gair, Amble,Douglas,Amble,Mitchell ,Fettercairns,Lyall, Brechin .Mearns Brechin.Thompson's ,Spittal. Maghie,Young .Raey Cumberland & Newcastle & Glasgow .Gilroy, Northumberland. Stark's Kyloe & Tweedmouth .Skeen's Tweedmouth.Gregsons Northumberland & America. Andrew Farmer Turnbull Berwick , Pool and Black Hull.Lounton Tweedmouth

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Christening in 1941
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 16 November 17 21:39 GMT (UK) »
Have you considered the possibility that he wasn't Christened, not everyone was? Were his parents church goers, if so he is likely to have been christened at the church they attended.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 November 17 22:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Groom
I don't think they were church goers his dad could have been away in the war then
Its a good question will ring him and find out
Thanks
Elizabeth
McKenzie,Helmsdale.,Mackay's,Gordon's,Polsons,Sutherland's,Loth & N/Z .Watson ,Munro,Pitsligo.Black. Harle ,East Hollywell.Black,and Short East Hollywell.Northumberland Gair, Amble,Douglas,Amble,Mitchell ,Fettercairns,Lyall, Brechin .Mearns Brechin.Thompson's ,Spittal. Maghie,Young .Raey Cumberland & Newcastle & Glasgow .Gilroy, Northumberland. Stark's Kyloe & Tweedmouth .Skeen's Tweedmouth.Gregsons Northumberland & America. Andrew Farmer Turnbull Berwick , Pool and Black Hull.Lounton Tweedmouth

Online emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 17 November 17 10:49 GMT (UK) »
You could always try contacting the church in Brampton (or Gisland if there is one) and asking them.

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 17 November 17 12:42 GMT (UK) »
You should also bear in mind that if his father was away in the services, it is possible that any baptism may have kept until his return, it may have been after the war and wherever they settled, or perhaps where his parents married, if it was in a church.

There are so many possibilities that if he was baptised at all, the search may take you far and wide. It may be a good starting point  to find out if his siblings were baptised, if so, where, then look there first.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 17 November 17 20:01 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both
Haven't managed to contact RC yet but will do as soon as I can
Elizabeth

Offline clearly

• RootsChat Senior
  • If we understand the past we understand the future
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 19 November 17 22:15 GMT (UK) »
Both Brampton and Gilsland Church of England baptism registers are in Carlisle Archive Centre with christenings up to the mid 80's. If you care to PM the name to me, I will have a look when they open again on Wednesday. There is also a Methodist chapel at Gilsland that has deposited registers.
Forster Cul, Harrison Cul, Wood Cul Yks, Castley Cul & Wes, Lorimer Cul and Perth,Innis Cul, Casson, Cul, Johnston,Cul & Nfk, Carruthers Cul, Ewart Cul, Jardine Cul & Dmf, Story Cul, ONeill Cul & NI, Davis Cul & Ldn,

Offline aspin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • What a Lad What a miss
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 20 November 17 17:37 GMT (UK) »
Clearly I have had computer problems all day did you pick up my PM
Elizabeth

Offline clearly

• RootsChat Senior
  • If we understand the past we understand the future
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 20 November 17 21:10 GMT (UK) »
Aspin,

Yes, I have replied.

Chester
Forster Cul, Harrison Cul, Wood Cul Yks, Castley Cul & Wes, Lorimer Cul and Perth,Innis Cul, Casson, Cul, Johnston,Cul & Nfk, Carruthers Cul, Ewart Cul, Jardine Cul & Dmf, Story Cul, ONeill Cul & NI, Davis Cul & Ldn,