Author Topic: WW1 Frederick Manson - Army or Navy? Confused!  (Read 2624 times)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: WW1 Frederick Manson - Army or Navy? Confused!
« Reply #9 on: Friday 17 November 17 00:43 GMT (UK) »
The man who died was also called Frederick Manson  - his records are on FindMyPast. His address was 7 Brunswick Avenue and his mother Catherine, some of his siblings are also listed. He enlisted June 18th 1915 in Hull.

Here he is in 1901

RG13; Piece: 4477; Folio: 108; Page: 20

Alexander Manson   41
Catherine Manson   35
Benjamin Manson   16
Alexander M Manson   14
Christiania H Manson   12
William Manson   10
James M Manson   8
Eliza B Manson   6
Frederick Manson   3
John M Manson   11/12

The address of this family in 1911 is 7 Brunswick Ave - so I think that is enough proof for you to send to the owner of the website to say that he has the wrong family.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X7TS-XSR
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Nanna52

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Edwin WB Vincent, my actor, (1881-1940)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 17 November 17 06:44 GMT (UK) »
Well done groom finding that.  I have been looking at the website and I have the impression that the owner would appreciate corrections.  There has been a lot of hard work put into it.
James -Victoria, Australia originally from Keynsham, Somerset.
Janes - Keynsham and Bristol area.
Heale/Hale - Keynsham, Somerset
Vincent - Illogan/Redruth, Cornwall.  Moved to Sculcoates, Yorkshire; Grass Valley, California; Timaru, New Zealand and Victoria, Australia.
Williams somewhere in Wales - he kept moving
Ellis - Anglesey

Gedmatch A327531

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: WW1 Frederick Manson - Army or Navy? Confused! Completed with thanks!
« Reply #11 on: Friday 17 November 17 21:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jan & Nanna52,

Many thanks for your replies & info, much appreciated.

Jan, many thanks for that 1901 info, that's brilliant. Although the address on the website is Liverpool Street, Hull there is a secondary address listed & that is Brunswick Ave, Hull, which matches the 1901  census address for the Manson family that you have found.

Nanna52, thanks for that, that's good to know, I'll get everything together & let them know.

Just to finish things up I read the Hull Daily News article mentioned in my OP again today & the name of one of the mourners caught my eye, he being 'Stoker Manson'. Frederick in his Naval records was a Stoker 1st class at the time of his father's funeral.

I think that we can call this one completed now. My thanks to all who have assisted with this, very much appreciated indeed.

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline katieleah

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 21 November 19 21:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi David JP, Frederick Manson was my Nana's brother. Jan's post is correct. The family had 5 sons serving. Ben - navy, Alex - navy, James - navy, William - army and Fred - army. Fred was killed in action during the battle of Arras on Friday 13th April 1917 aged 19.
I have a few photos of him with his battalion. If I can help with anything else please post it.
Thanks
Metsy

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 21 November 19 22:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Metsy and welcome to RootsChat, David hasn't been active on RootsChat since April. When you have made one more post you will be able to send him a personal message, you can do this by clicking on the icon beneath his name.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline katieleah

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 22 November 19 19:40 GMT (UK) »
The addresses listed as Brunswick avenue and Liverpool st are one and the same: Liverpool st had many small avenues one of which was called Brunswick.

Thanks for the tip Carol

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 28 January 21 19:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi katieleah,

My apologies for my non response until now. The major reason being that my PC died on me which left me offline for quite some time. Was unable to do anything about it until fairly recently due to financial constraints. Even now I'm only using a laptop but it is better than nothing!

Its great to hear from you. Thanks for getting in touch re your Frederick Manson, much appreciated. As can be seen from the thread our Frederick Manson's are clearly two different men.

My apologies again for the delayed response.

Best wishes & kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)